“THE STANDARD OPTIONS WITH SOMETHING NEW. NOT A TYPICAL MENU”

Mediterranean Network Restaurant
Ranked #111 of 628 Restaurants in Eugene
Reviewed 24 April 2017

This was such a pleasant surprise! I was visiting a family member and drove by this place a couple of times. After participating in the Science March we had a good appetite.

Mediterranean Network is quiet and had beautiful Middle Eastern music playing quietly in the background and set the right mood. That is important to me and I noticed it throughout this experience. You can see from the decor that thought went into creating an attractive area for quiet dining and conversation.

We had a short wait to be seated. We ordered the local cider for our drink while we perused the menu.

I have sought out Middle Eastern food over the years and have some menu favorites but this menu had surprises and I deliberately ordered something I had no knowledge of. We started with tabouli however it was very salty and we left most of it.

My companion ordered the falafel. I ordered the moshakel, a saffron rice with ground beef,vegetables and a little bit of heat. If I were to order it again I would ask for a little yogurt to balance the heat but it wasn't very hot at all. It was delicious and appealing. My companion was very happy with her falafel. We both needed a take out box because the serving size was ample.

We also chose to take half our food home to justify ordering their desserts. Another nice surprise. For the lovers of Baklava, it is on the menu along with some other options. My companion ordered the date cake and I ordered the custard. The custard was seasoned and had a nutty texture with what seemed to be fresh ground cardamom. Both were delicious.

Prices were typical Eugene prices, I think and ranged from about $15. to upper $20.s.

The service was excellent.

2  Thank bren2915

Reviewed 10 March 2017

We enjoyed an evening meal: a very ample mezze plate, Spinach curry, and a fish dish. Very ample servings of rice (one serving was enough for two people). The spinach curry had somewhat too much tomato for our tastes (we would have liked it to be heavier on the spinach), but otherwise good. We will likely try it again for some lamb dishes on the menu.

Reviewed 23 February 2017

Favorite mediterranean place in Eugene. A bit pricy but worth every penny. The atmosphere is beautiful, menu selection is great, food was fantastic, service was great too. Would recommend. :)

Reviewed 12 February 2017

We've been here three times, once for lunch and twice for dinner. In our experience, the food has been excellent, well-spiced, hot and very tasty. We have tried several chicken and lamb dishes and their special combination of appetizers such as baba ganouj, hummus, falafel, stuffed grape leaves, etc. The latter makes an excellent lunch. Never having been to the Middle East, I can only imagine that this is indeed authentic Middle Eastern food. The restaurant is smallish, but very well appointed and comfortable. We were sad to see that it was only half-full on a Saturday evening (our last visit). It deserves a more loyal clientele! It is true that they don't serve alcohol, but you can bring your own wine, if you wish ($20 corkage fee).

If you like Middle Eastern food (and you should!), do give this place a try!

Reviewed 7 February 2017

We went on a Monday evening a little over an hour before closing. We started with Fattoush, which came in a small bowl. We typically love Fattoush, but this was extremely sour and bitter. My wife had Molokia, which was billed as a “green stew served with white basmati rice” What came closely resembled grass clippings in mucus, with very plain white rice. No apparent seasonings in either the rice or the “stew”. I had Mejadra, “a hearty mix of rice and lentils topped with red sauce” with chicken. There were a few lentils mixed with the rice, and a bit of red sauce. The flavor wasn't unpleasant, but it was a bit on the plain side--mostly heat, since I asked for it medium spicy. It came with a dried out chicken leg with some spices on the surface.

The server was remarkably pleasant and willing to be helpful, but didn't seem to know the menu well, and disappeared into the kitchen for long stretches (we were the only customers), where it sounded like everyone was having a good time.

We had high hopes, since we love Mediterranean food in general, but the prices were high (especially for what we got) and nothing we got was anything we’d want to eat again.