Open today: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
No Sea Lions

There were no sea lions when I visited, but to their credit, they told me in advance. They offered... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
travelwriter52
Conyers, GA
Fun stop on our Oregon Coast trip

We had a great time visiting the sea lions and watching them at the caves. It's definitely worth at... read more

Reviewed 8 November 2018
debbiemX1405UB

1,445 results
All reviews gift shop elevator ride fudge viewing area their natural habitat observation deck sea lion cave the cliff oregon coast bring binoculars fun stop nice stop unique experience heceta head lighthouse parking lot light house smell
Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

If you want to see sea lions, this is your place. Be warned, the smell is not good, really not good.

Date of experience: November 2017
1  Thank 672petej
Reviewed 12 October 2018

We visited in October which is not the time of the year that the sea lions are in the cave. I want to note that the personnel at Sea Lion Caves made that abundantly clear, which is why I am flabbergasted that anyone would be so upset about not seeing sea lions in the cave. They let you know upon arrival. They offer a discounted ticket price in the offseason. Then, as a consumer, you have the power to either decide sure, I will view the cave at a discounted rate, and most likely not see a sea lion, or no, I will save my money and drive to Newport instead. It's ridiculous to be informed, make a decision, then be angry at someone else because you made the wrong decision.

That said, we got our discounted tickets and took the very updated elevator down into the cave. We viewed the empty cave, the exhibits, and took in the ocean views from the deck. We didn't see any sea lions. Oh well.

I did not feel ripped off. We were driving on 101. It's right there. It's a touristy road stop. They aren't pretending to be something other than that.

Date of experience: October 2018
2  Thank c00perjam
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

Ok we came in off season. Sea Lions were not in cave. So to see an empty stinking cave it costs $2.00 less then if the sea lions were there. Hello???

We said forget this and drove down the road a 1/2 mile or so and saw a bunch of people on a pull out. When we stopped we saw a number of lions swimming in the ocean and a ton of them on the rocks. Better view point then the pay area.

Save your money and just view from one of the numerous pull overs in the area.

Date of experience: October 2018
1  Thank rven4ever
William C, Guest Relations Manager at Sea Lion Caves, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

Thank you for your review. It is difficult to understand the Sea Lion Caves experience when you didn't actually get to enjoy it for yourself.

Because we are an all natural wildlife preserve and marine sanctuary, all of the animals are free to come and go as they please. This is the place where they choose to live and none are held in captivity. For that reason, there may be occasions of the year when we have no sea lions in the cave. It remains our policy to inform all visitors, before they purchase a ticket, if we have no sea lions in the cave. We offer those guests that do purchase a ticket a discount as well as a free return voucher that is valid for one full year.

Many of our guests tell us that seeing America’s largest naturally formed sea cave is worth the price of admission even when we have no sea lions. The Cave was formed over 25 million years ago, is the height is equivalent to a 12 story building and is the length of a football field. We think The Cave is a very valuable treasure that is worth protecting for future generations to enjoy and a very enjoyable experience in itself.

We couldn't agree more, there are numerous places on the Oregon Coast to enjoy sea lions and we certainly recommend them all.

Sea Lion Caves. We’re nothing short of wild.

Reviewed 29 September 2018

Have a live camera to see the sea lions below...none were there - they were out fishing... so we just checked out the gift shop and bought a few souvenirs. No crosswalk across hwy 101 from parking lot... take your chance - RUN!!

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

I’ve been to the Sea Lion Caves many times in my life and the views don’t change much. I have better views of sea lions down in Newport. However, they have a great gift shop and I love the views outside of the gift shop. If you have never been you must go once. And if anything visit the gift shop for souvenirs.

Date of experience: September 2018