“Very adequate”

Econo Lodge Garibaldi
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Garibaldi
Reviewed 16 August 2017

We had a room reserved using Choice Privileges points. We arrived early (shortly after 2:00 pm) and was told that the room wasn't ready. We came back at 3:00 and it still wasn't ready. We were told by two different people that the room had been trashed by the people who had it before us and that it would take extra time to make it presentable. I must say that they did a great job in cleaning it up. It was very clean and fresh. It was the King Suite which was very large. We didn't have the breakfast in the morning so I can't comment on it. When we went to leave our battery was dead. The lady got the manager, I believe, out of bed to come and jump our battery. This was early on a Sunday morning in a very tiny town. They told us the location of an auto parts store in the next town where we could get a battery. Thankfully, the store was open. This isn't a fancy hotel but was very adequate and I would stay here again if in the area.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 July 2017

The Eco has been renovated so all rooms have hardwood floors. Its an issue because the maids don't mop or treat the wood, so the floor will blacken your feet. I also toured the entire hotel while the maids were cleaning and peeking into different rooms. It is not as spacious or furnished as the photos suggest. Keep in mind its just a 2 star hotel that tries very hard to be a 3 star, but a quick inspection of the room reminds you its just a 2 star or maybe a 1 star. There is mold in the grout between the tiles in the shower. There are black drywall screws on silver towel hangers. The toilet lid is also 2 sizes too big for the bowl. The shower curtain is full of soap grime and the edges have mold on it. So don't be fooled by the hardwood floors or classy look the hotel tries to present.

The TV is an old flatscreen with computer hookups, no HDMI for your media devices like a Firestick unless you have the RCA converter cable. The cable service does not have a guide or info screen to show you whats playing, so you'll have to channel surf to find whats on. There is only a bed, a table, a chair, a dorm fridge and a hairdryer. No coffee pot or iron or mugs. Plastic cups and squeeze bottles for soap, lotion and shampoo. Pillows are lumpy or flat, but don't worry you get three crappy pillows per bed. The AC is loud and worthless, but at least there was a window which did a better job of cooling down the room. Unfortunately opening the window allowed the fresh country air of cow manure to seep in, along with all the noise.

Next door there is the Parkside Restaurant, which I ate at for 5 days. Not the best food but decent enough. The free breakfast at Eco was yogurt, muffins and juice (apple or orange). Good for a snack but I needed more for breakfast.

One last thing you need to know, and thats the red cards. If you don't use them the maids won't replace your linen. If your towels are hanging up they won't replace them unless they are on the floor. Its the whole green energy concept. Also there is no ramp or elevator for the second floor so if you have walking issues stay on the first floor.

Room Tip: Bring sandals or slippers, otherwise the floor will dirty your feet.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2017

We got there and the manager greeted us and got us checked in. She actually changed our room to a ground floor room when she saw me with my walking stick; which I really appreciated. The room was a little noisy through out the night, but the bed was comfy. The lamps in the room need work, they were having problems staying on. The hot and cold faucets are reversed. Made us think. ;-) We also found bits of blue plastic on the bed and chairs. All in all, we were happy to have a comfy bed to sleep in and really appreciated the ground floor room.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 December 2016

Check in at 3pm, which is typical. Small place, maybe 20 rooms or so. At 1pm the parking lot was empty and so we stopped to see if maybe we could check in early. Denied, check in starts at 3pm. Strict with their check in time. That night were not many cars so we assume that our room was ready but since it was not yet 3pm, we were not allowed to check in.
We booked 2 rooms for one night. When we checked in they had it as 1 room for 2 nights. They promptly corrected this. We were given 2 rooms on the end of the first floor, closest to the road.
Upon entering the room I noticed that the curtains were open and the windows were the sliding type. This made me feel very uncomfortable. Most people would close the curtains so anyone walking by would know which rooms were occupied if the standard practice is to leave the curtains open. I wish I took pictures of the room. The room is NOTHING like those shown on trip advisor. The carpets are worn, there are random holes in the walls/doors from where there used to be fixtures, the beds are old and lumpy. We were given the ADA accessible rooms with roll in showers. The toilet paper dispenser is worn so the toilet paper tube/roll gets caught on the holder. The dispenser is a little farther from the toilet (I think because it is an ADA room). This became an annoyance to have to realign the toilet paper every time so that the roll would roll. My mom and daughter (12 yrs old) were going to stay in the other room but my daughter didn't feel safe and opted to sleep in our room on the floor. From our room (we had the room closest to the road) you could hear the cars driving by. The walls are very thin. At night I could hear the people above us walking back and forth all night, I woke up around 1am and didn't get back to sleep until around 4am because of all the walking around. It made me wonder who was staying in the room above us and what they were doing with the constant walking around from 1am- 4am.
The motel is located right off Hwy 101. There are grocery stores, a liquor store and a gas station very close by. There were eating places close by as well but we did not eat at any of them. Location is great.
We did take advantage of the free breakfast. Muffins, coffee, hot cocoa, yogurt and orange juice.
Overall, we did not feel safe. I may be a little paranoid but I prefer to err on the side of caution. The room is very shabby and run down. The location was good and the free breakfast was fine. Next time I am in the area I would prefer to get one larger room that will accommodate us, than 2 rooms (since we ended up in one room anyway).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor so the people above you won't keep you up all night.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank MKKplus2
Reviewed 27 October 2016

The room was clean. However, the beds and linens needs to be replaced. Breakfast was a continental breakfast but very limited. For a diabetic nothing but coffee. This is a very low end motel. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If you are looking for middle of the road this isn't it.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank SaraD81956
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garibaldi
0.3 km away
11.7 km away
Western Royal Inn
Western Royal Inn
#2 of 3 in Tillamook

Been to Econo Lodge Garibaldi? Share your experiences!