“Excellent”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 30 March 2018

A one night stay in Gold Beach and this restaurant was recommended by hotel staff. A quaint restaurant with a beautiful setting on the Rogue River. Dinner was excellent and our waitress made the dining experience there great.....she had a great sense of humor and could keep up with my husband's sense of humor. Chicken fried chicken with white gravy was like homemade, fried prawn dinner was also delicious. Desserts were also tasty....berry pie and cherry cheesecake topped the meal off. Great experience....thanks!

Reviewed 21 March 2018

When visiting Gold Beach we always have dinner here. The reason is that the seafood is delicious, service good and prices just right. I ordered the Titanic Salad (shrimp Louie) $14.00 - which is full of shrimp, eggs and other yummy ingredients. The salad is large so I never go hungry. The hubby ordered their special - Fish Tacos. He said they were excellent. We also ordered the Calamari appetizer but our waitress forgot which was fine. The restaurant has several local Arch Rock Brewery beers and other Oregon micro beers available. The décor is stand nautical and casual. The venue is located with a beautiful view. We would definitely recommend Port Hole.

1  Thank OregonProud7
Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

My wife and I each ordered different sandwiches and exchanged half. She got the crab melt that was outstanding. I got the regular disk sandwich which was good, but hers was better. Local beers were good too. Would definitely go back, and happy hour sounds like a good deal. Half priced drafts and select appetizers.

Reviewed 27 February 2018

I do not write this review in anger out of having been served a bad meal at a high price with only fair service. I write it out of disappointment! My wife and I live in Medford, Oregon and love to travel to the beautiful Oregon coast on anniversaries, birthdays or during the just plain hot summer days of our Rogue Valley. We have for years stayed in Gold Beach at Ireland's Rustic Lodges enjoying dining out one night at Spinners and the next at The Port Hole Cafe. The contrast is fun and the food at both places has always been great. We had not been to the coast for a couple of years and have discovered that something has changed and not for the better. On Tuesday, February 13, 2018, we stopped at the the Port Hole Cafe for lunch. I am always a sucker for the fish and chips. I do not mind the tourist prices because we are not there very often and have never been disappointed, until now. The once oversized fillets of cod have been reduced to several pieces slightly larger than chicken Mc Nuggets. the fries were limp and soggy. The coleslaw was tasteless. My wife ordered a glass of white wine with her meal and was presented with an airline sized mini-bottle that barely filled half of her glass. We got the message. Things are not the same. I thought about our experience for several days after returning home and decided to say something. I wrote a message on the Port Hole website that promises to respond to questions and comments. It has now been a couple of weeks with no comment back. I have never written a review before on any product or service but after our experience, I felt compelled to do so, I do not say these things in anger as I have stated but in disappointment. Something that was great is no longer so. And I for one will miss it..

1  Thank margaretormichael
Tony A, Owner at Port Hole Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2018

Michael, thank you for your recent visit to Gold Beach and the Porthole cafe. We apologize for not getting back to you as quickly as you expected, as our website states we will get back to you "As soon as possible". I am sorry that you felt so inclined to give us a "Extremely Disappointing" One star review. We thank you for your YEARS of patronage and support, we can only hope that this ONE "Extremely Disappointing" experience doesn't prevent you from giving us another try as we strive to do our best and provide customers with good food and service as we have done for you over the last several years.

Tony A

Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

Great little reastraunt staff was freindly and food was very good best clam chowder I found in gold beach

1  Thank Larry F