“Yuck!!”

MacLevin's Eaterie
Price range: US$5 - US$18
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: We are a 3-generation kitchen and serve an eclectic menu of sustainable, natural, organic, and regional foods. Our menu is full of gluten-free options such as latkes, fish and chips, as well as soups, salads and dressings, frittatas, and meats. Sandwiches available on gluten-free bread. We offer a selection of traditional specialties: bagels, Nova Scotia lox, pastrami, corn beef, chicken livers, matzoh brei, our own bagels, rye and challah bread. Closed Tuesday and Wednesday. Cash and checks only.
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This place is just gross. Their meat is tough and not like ANYTHING you have ever seen in a deli. I had such high hopes for this place but they are disappointing. I don't know about you, but I prefer my corned beef NOT to be a grayish-green color...avoid and go to the Bellla.

1  Thank new2u

Reviewed 29 March 2013

The owner tends to talk to customers.... if you can avoid conversation with the owner - you will love the food. Seriously.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

We stumbled upon MacLevin's accidentally while looking for another restaurant...but they were having a big brunch, so we went back to MacLevin's and decided to go in. I had, hands down, one of the best reuben sandwiches I have ever had. Practically everything is homemade by the family...even the pickles were amazing. Had a lovely brown ale to go with it. My husband had the brisket with latkes, also fabulous. Everyone was so nice and very friendly...they made us feel like locals. We were warmly welcomed, well fed and invited back. What could be better? I would definitely go back the next time we're in Jacksonville.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

We ate here on a Monday when everything else in Jacksonville was closed. The owners were there taking orders and doing the cooking. Mr. MacLevin was very thoughtful and attentive. In fact, he convinced me to try his sauerkraut after describing it. That's a big achievement since I hate sauerkraut. But he was right; it was delicious!

Reviewed 27 December 2012

Just a bad, weird experience here. I had been intrigued to try this place for lunch for some time (years, actually), so I happened to be in Jacksonville one early afternoon and stopped in.

The owners (I assume they are the owners?) were rude and snippy. I've never had a more negative reaction from a staff member when I inquired if they accepted credit cards. Like many other people, I don't regularly carry cash and just use a debit card most of the time. The walk to the ATM and back gave me some time to contemplate my poor decision and made me wish I had checked the reviews first.

The reuben was decent but nothing incredible.

When you're in a town like Jacksonville with so many other good options around, it's easy to make the decision to permanently pass this place up. I just feel sorry for the Britt-goers and other unsuspecting folks who will doubtlessly continue to have bad experiences here.

2  Thank Jonah K