“Nice happy hour”

Cuisines: Asian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

John and I walk to happy hour often. And Five Spice is one of our favorites! Nice wine selection, and beer, of course. You can sit outside all summer, and even Fall and Spring due to heaters and a fireplace!

Reviewed 29 August 2017

We had over the top service. The food was more than fabulous, so fresh with stunning presentation. Wine especially....top notch and the desserts must be kept in mind...a feast for the senses.

Reviewed 25 August 2017

First nice surprise was the elevator. My parents couldn't make it up the stairs. We came during the happy hour. J.J. was our server and was excellent. The happy hour menu has plenty of variant great prices. Children can even sit in the bar or out on the beautiful deck. We ordered a small desert to share and they wrote happy birthday on the plate and added a candle.very special. we will definitely go back.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

Business dinner. Visited many times previously. Will not visit again. Clients very disappointed. Would not recommend.

Tim M, Manager at Five Spice Seafood + Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2017

Especially because you were hosting clients, we understand why you'd be so dissatisfied with poor service. It really is such a shame that your recent meal with us disappointed you so. This is not the norm for Five Spice, and we'd really hate for this experience to keep you from coming back and getting a taste of our very best. We invite you to come in again, if not for a business dinner then for breakfast.

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

My friend and I arrived at the restaurant and were seated right away at a table on the outdoor patio. Right below us was a bluegrass band, which I enjoyed. Lakefront view and pleasant weather made for a nice outdoor dining ambiance. We started out with a lovely sparkling glass of prosecco, and ordered the crab cake appetizer. Probably the best part of the meal. The crab cake was tasty, but maybe a bit too much ginger for my taste. It was accompanied by a papaya green salad which was a nice touch.
Our server (Ethan) was prompt and recited the evening specials to us. Since this is a seafood restaurant, I was gravitating to the fish entrees. I asked Ethan what he would recommend, and he said undoubtedly the sturgeon. "The most popular entree on the menu". Upon his recommendation I ordered the sturgeon.
My food came out with perfect timing, but it went downhill from there.
The sturgeon arrived atop a bed of black-rice risotto. The risotto was lukewarm and flavorless. The fish was pan seared (with very little -if any- seasoning). The taste of the fish was absolutely revolting. This piece of fish tasted like the bottom of the Columbia river. Dirty, earthy, and disgusting.
I'm never one to make a fuss, and I did not say anything to our server...I should have. I did not want to seem ungrateful to my friend (who was buying my birthday-dinner that night). I ate maybe half of my fish, and a few bites of the risotto and called it good. I had no desire to even look at a dessert menu, as I lost my appetite. If I had it to do over again, I would have chosen the salmon entree (because I know I like salmon), and gathered up my courage to send my original sturgeon entree back. I like my food to arrive HOT, and this definitely was not. There are a lot of wonderful restaurants in Portland, so I will not likely return here.

Tim M, Owner at Five Spice Seafood + Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to provide us with feedback on your recent visit to Five Spice. While we're glad you enjoyed the outdoor ambiance, we're sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the Sturgeon. We aim to provide a variety of dishes to appeal to even the pickiest of palettes, and we're sorry to have missed the mark for you here. While we wish you would have spoken to a manager, so that we could have assisted you while you were with us, we thank you for bringing this to light for us now. Your feedback will be passed along to our staff, in order to improve for the future, and we hope you will give us the chance to provide you with a 5-star experience in the future!