“Wonderful Halibut Lunch”

Ranked #2 of 26 Restaurants in Manzanita
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Big Wave Café is a casual theme dock and farm to table restaurant open daily for lunch and dinner.
Reviewed 30 March 2018

We had a delightful lunch, with vino, at this restaurant. The halibut was prepared just right, the wine was perfect and the service was friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

First of all the seafood was breaded and fried. This included my razor clams, which also were very tough and certainly not fresh. The prices were on the high side but not extraordinarily so. We very much looked forward to our first visit to this restaurant but, for us, it did not live up to the high marks that others bestowed upon it.

Brian W, Owner at Big Wave Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Troutbum2,
Thank you for visiting the Big Wave Café. On the day you visited we had a total of 24 different seafood items for you to select from and five of them are deep fried. The razor clams are breaded but then cooked in clarified butter on the flat top grill. We buy our razor clams fresh from an Indian tribe in NW Washington. Razor clams do have a tough chewy texture and that is why we marinate them in butter milk after pounding them flat. I wish you would have brought this to my attention as I could have provided a remedy in real time. Our goal is to exceed guest expectations every time. Our focus is to bring you the best ingredients our area has to offer and we are a proud member of Seafood Watch. Please give us a second chance and ask for me personally and I will not only prepare your meal but pick up your tab.
Thanks,
Brian

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Wonderful, fresh albacore tuna sandwich. Specials based on what was purchased off the dock in the morning. Staff was friendly, everyone felt welcome. Many menu items are locally sourced. Worth the stop.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

We came in a couple hours before closing and were one of 3 tables in the restaurant. We started with the calamari, the sauce was delicious.
We ordered burgers and it seems like they were cooked from frozen, so there was an uncooked layer in the middle. It seemed like the cook (not chef) was ready to go home.
If the meal was significantly less than $50, I may have been satisfied with our meal, but wouldn't go back.

Brian W, Manager at Big Wave Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Jessica,
Thank you for visiting and providing valuable feedback. I remember your party and I apologize for my kitchen staff verbalizing their desire to close up the restaurant. That should never happen and it has been addressed. In regards to our burgers they only cost $10.25 and that has been the same price for three years despite increased costs. The burger is a Reed & Hertig (local rancher) one third pound burger that is delivered twice a week fresh. We don't use frozen hamburger. Our buns are brioche served with mayo, our house made burger relish, pickles, lettuce, tomato and served with a large portion of panko dipped fries. It sounds like we didn't cook your burger all the way through. I am not sure how you were charged $50 for a burger and calamari so please check your receipt and let me know if you were overcharged. I will remedy that ASAP. Please give us a second chance to show you that we do value our customers and our food is worth the price. Brian 503-968-9283

Reviewed 9 March 2018

nice place, friendly. right off the main road with easy access and parking. had some really good clam chowder and grilled sea bass tacos.