“Darling patio, yummy fondue, slow service.”
Review of Bistro Maison

Bistro Maison
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Maison is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 105 Restaurants in McMinnville
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2017

Bistro Maison was recommended to us by a McMinnville local. We enjoyed dinner on the patio, it was so lovely we could have sat there for hours! (And we did...service was very slow. Almost 2.5 hours spent there, luckily we weren't in a rush. It didn't seem to be very busy, but there were 2 other large parties on the patio that definitely received more attention than we did.) We shared the White Truffle Fondue, it was delicious! Then we each had an entrée and were overly full! They knew we were there for a celebration and brought us a sweet gelato sampler, which was a fun surprise!

1  Thank Laura R

Reviewed 25 July 2017

Sitting outside in their garden area was delightful! The food was very good and the service was excellent. I had the scallops and they were perfectly paired. The bread is fantastic. Even though we didn't order dessert, whole walnuts were served at the end of our meal. What a nice touch.

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

We have eaten at Bistro Maison many times and with a few exceptions it is always pretty good. Traditional French bistro faire. Tonight it was a pretty busy Saturday night with three servers, one who was also the bartender. Service was beyond terrible. Seems like the whole restaurant was complaining. They needed two or even three more staff to provide even average service. Probably very few tips this night. The owners should be ashamed for having such a low level of staffing. Food was good.

1  Thank tshyde
Reviewed 14 July 2017

This was a favorite place in the old days...solid, expected, and enjoyable.

We went there for a birthday celebration...and discovered that we got exactly what we used to get...and therein lies the problem.

We have outgrown it, which is not a brag about us or necessarily a criticism of this place where everyone works hard to deliver exactly what they always have.

But the food lacked the sort of freshness and zing that places we go to now has...it did not feel like it could keep up. It was like a middle aged and skilled athlete who thought to get by on past accomplishments, and neglected to innovate and be at the top of its game.

Likely there would be hurt feelings from this review...but honest, there is no rancor here. A wound from a friend is worth a thousand kisses from an enemy. They would do well to give the place a thorough examination, cast about for what is happening now in the food scene, and avoid a one way ticket to 1950s food in a 21st century food scene.

We also got caught out in the very long time waiting for the check from when we finished the meal...but as we are patient people, again we write this off as an oversight due to either busyness or forgetfulness...keep in mind that a dining experience here will likely be 2+ hrs or longer.

By the way, I had the Confit De Canard, which tasted marvelous up front, and then kept me up all night with a hurty tummy that never quite tipped to nausea, but really just did the funky chicken on my sleep! I also had the escargots, which I love in general but was thinking these were a bit heavy on the dill and parsley, whereas my preference is very garlicky.

I love this old place...but I realized there is no going home again. Alas, and also excited to move on to other places, other seasons, and some place that will be our "home" in this season of our life.

In conclusion: if you want very expected, WYSIWYG food then this is the place. If you have connections here that are vital and living, you will be treated as gold, as family. No one in town cares more about that than the proprietor of this place.

But if your palate is more used to fresh and contemporary takes on cuisine, I would counsel looking at places a bit younger and vital. Thistle comes to mind.

Listen, it's hard to be in this business! And it hurts my heart to say anything critical of an old friend, Bistro Maison, which has accompanied us thru anniversaries and birthdays...but all things eventually change in some way.

To use an old cliche: I think we should see other people. It's not you, it's me.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Traveling in a group of 3 couples, and confession, we were told about Bistro Maison b/c a friend of mine is a friend of owner (Deborah). However, take this review as factual regardless, because we had a fantastic experience that I'm sure anyone and everyone at this restaurant would get! We were made to feel very welcome with a table in the lovely outdoor courtyard, and even offered wraps to wear when we felt chilled. Deborah really knows her wine, and found something that each person could enjoy. The food was wonderful, french but with an updated take on ingredients and preparation. Deborah gave us the homemade ice cream for dessert -- 8 flavors and we passed the dishes and each tried to guess the flavors, from basil to toasted marshmallow to chocolate mint -- so refreshing and tasty! Added bonus: Her sweet boxer, Bell, who came up to greet us. Highly recommend if you are visiting wineries, wonderful experience.