“Immaculate room, but be prepared for intense sunlight through the windows”

Bunk House Cabin & Rooms
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nehalem
Bunk House Cabin & Rooms
Reviewed 16 August 2015

We arrived here after an extremely long day; most other places along the coast from Astoria south had no vacancy. We were pleased there was room available here.

We pulled into the parking lot just before 11 and the owner was sitting on the porch next to the office and watching us owlishly. He seemed cantankerous, grumpy and not very hospitable, but was accommodating. He asked if our young daughter "wears Pampers or wets the bed," to which I assured him she does not wet the bed; he smirked with sort of a "I've heard that before" expression. Then he asked if we had any pets along in the car; I told him we didn't, and he nonetheless told me there'd be a $1,500 charge if we brought our non-existent pet into the room. I had to sign a form agreeing to this.

I thought it was bizarre but didn't care; we were all tired and just needed to become horizontal for several hours. The funny thing is that smoking is perfectly acceptable on the porch right outside the room – there are sand-filled ashtrays thoughtfully placed along the walkway – and smoke can easily find its way inside the rooms. However, pet hair is apparently on the same level of acceptability as radioactive waste.

The room was probably the cleanest we've ever occupied at any hotel or motel. It looks like somebody spends hours every day with a toothbrush and steam mop to clean it. The beds were quite comfortable but the walls were thin; we could hear the TV of the guy next door until close to midnight.

The bathroom was likewise clean, exceeding even military and hospital standards, but strangely had toilet paper and paper towel dispensers. These looked industrial, more like what you'd see in a public restroom.

Unfortunately, the curtains are quite thin and do not keep out the morning light at all. Our room looked like someone was shining a beacon into the windows at about 6:15. This is a huge drawback, especially since we wanted to sleep in due to the long day previous.

Overall, a very clean and comfortable room – with the exception of the sunlight. We'd probably stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: Bring a blindfold, especially if you're sensitive to early morning sunlight! The curtains hold o...
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank shelf_life

Reviewed 13 July 2015

Located between Nehalem and Manzanita, Oregon, this is an outstanding little restaurant. Breakfast was a delightful experience. A short stack is Oregon berries was amazing. If you want quick, impersonal service and dull food, go to a chain. At the Bunkhouse, the service is genuinely friendly and cheerful and the food is outstanding. There will be a longer waiting time between placing the order and the arrival of the food because the food is prepared—not pre-prepared. I have lived in a city too long; I forgot how good food could be.

Stayed: July 2015
Reviewed 18 June 2015

This unlikely place really saved us. We had no reservations and the entire region was filling up fast! It was recommended by another staff at a full hotel nearby. When we got there the hostess was so gracious and did not realize how anxious I had been. She had several choices of accommodations and I chose the upstairs unit with the shared bath. Worked out beautifully. I took it sight unseen and was so pleasantly thrilled to find it crisp and clean with every amenity that we could possibly want, plus more. Plenty of outlets to re-charge devices, plus free wi-fi. A fan , if needed, we slept with our window wide open and in came a delightful breeze and no noise.
If you want a really pleasant, more rustic type of place to stay-give the Bunkhouse a try. I bet you walk away with a smile, like we did!

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coqui_coqui_jet
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here while on a road trip up the Oregon coast. Hotels are very expensive anywhere near the beach because it is a popular tourist area. The Bunkhouse was reasonably priced, however, and just a few minutes from the Manzanita beach which was beautiful and not nearly as crowded as some of the more popular Coast towns.
For 78 dollars we got wifi, free movie rentals from the office, a microwave, a large mini fridge/freezer, a SUPER comfortable bed (it was the best I had slept our whole trip!) and a small but cozy room. There are other rooms you can stay in for a lower price, but I reserved it only a few hours before we got there, and Cabin #3 was what they were able to give us on short notice. It felt like a home away from home, it didn't have the motel vibe at all.
There is also a restaurant on site which we ate at twice. They make great bloody Mary's!
If we ever come down this way again, we will definitely be staying at the Bunkhouse.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Found this by chance and what a gem! CLEAN room with everything we needed - fridge, micro, coffee maker, tea, etc. TV, Internet, table fan, games and magazines in the room, hand made quolt on the beds - free videos to borrow at front - perfect in every way and all at $61 for our upstairs room (shared bathroom but immaculately clean and tidy). I would stay here again in a heartbeat and recommend it to anyone - restaurant on the grounds which we will try this morning for breakfast.

Room Tip: Had the Southern Comfort room and loved it - it was a shared bath/shower room but we are used to tra...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Been to Bunk House Cabin & Rooms? Share your experiences!