“Best steamer clams EVER! Best people! Best place!”
Review of Sandbar & Grill

Sandbar & Grill
Ranked #46 of 118 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 6 July 2015

We discovered this little local bar/restaurant during our stay in Newport. It's located in Nye Beach, which is a very short walk, either on the beach or on Elizabeth Street headed north from any of the ocean hotels in Newport that are located on the north side of the Yaquina bay bridge. (We were at The Hallmark, and it was less than a mile - about a 10 minute walk.) There is a bar and small restaurant area with a pool table on the lower level, and a dining area upstairs.

Out of the six days that we were in Newport, we were here five.... either just for drinks or for drinks and appys.... more specifically... the AMAZING steamed clams!

We did venture out and order a few other things from their happy hour menu... calamari, crab cakes, clam chowder.... none of which was anything spectacular. But the steamer clams are just absolutely amazing! We have had clams at many, many places on the west coast, and we have never had clams this good. They bring them in from Washington, and keep them alive in a large salt-water tank. They steam them in wine, butter and garlic.

For those looking for an uppity, elegant dining experience... you will want to skip The Sandbar. For those looking for a totally chill place to meet some really nice people and have a few drinks, you can't miss this place! I have read some pretty negative reviews of The Sandbar, and it's really disappointing. This is a bar... not a 5 star restaurant, so comparing it as so, in my opinion, is not reasonable. This is a place you can go to unwind, have a few drinks, make friends with the bartender (Lindsey... you're the best and we can't wait to come back to see ya!) ANDDDDD have the best clams ever!

We are already plotting on how we can get back here, even if it's just for a few days. Yes.... the clams and the company were that good!

Reviewed 2 July 2015

We always try to stop for a bucket of steamer clams when in Newport, Oregon. The Lincoln City Kite Festival weekend was no exception.... 2lbs of steamers, micro brew on tap, great friends and we were happy campers! We always go in on the bar side, have not eaten from the restaurant side. Highly recommend for a fresh treat on the Oregon Coast.

1  Thank Troy-Keryn
Reviewed 13 June 2015

I did not have a meal here, so my rating is solely based on beer, an appetizer, and watching a game.

First, I came in to watch the USA team play Sweden in the Women's World Cup. Obviously this sports bar does not get a lot of soccer fans. But the bartender was more than willing to find the match for me and set it up on a screen conveniently located. Since no one was watching any other of the sports news or action on other screens, she turned up the volume so I could hear the announcers. I thought that was all very accommodating.

I had some pints of Black Butte Porter on tap, and you can't go wrong with that. I made the mistake of ordering the calamari. Probably the worst I have had. Heavily breaded and very overcooked and tough.

It is hard to get served. I had to search out the bartender or one server. But, it is sometimes nice to be left alone and not be constantly pressed to order. I nursed a couple of pints for the whole match.

As I was leaving the bar was filling up and many were ordering food. They seemed to be regulars and know the staff well. So many people were ordering food that it made me curious. I will consider trying it on another trip. They do have an upstairs restaurant with a view.

If you want to watch sports and have some drinks without hassle, this is as good a place as any to do so.

Reviewed 22 May 2015

A friend and I had some drinks and enjoyed the view. The drinks were priced well and the waitstaff was very attentive so we probably stayed longer than we initially intended because we were so comfortable!

1  Thank Phykos
Reviewed 11 April 2015

Stopped in while walking around Nye Beach one afternoon. Had a couple of pints of Rogue's Dead Man on tap. A great way to spend an hour or two on a brisk, sunny weekend afternoon by the shore. Sat at the bar and chatted with a couple of folks from Vancouver, Washington. They were finishing off a pretty good sized bucket of steamers with garlic butter, which they said was a big reason they make it a point to stop in whenever they're in town.

The bar was welcoming the restaurant upstairs has an outside deck with ocean view that must be pretty nice when the weather warms a little more.