All reviews third floor free popcorn continental breakfast great view nye beach bagels ocean view paved path floor room beach access nice balcony heated pool workout room the north end double queen room mini fridge within easy walking distance
Reviewed 7 May 2007

Just spent the weekend at the Whaler. We had a king room on the third floor. It was spacious, clean and quiet. I especially liked the wet bar, which is stocked with dishes, utensils, toaster, etc. The frig and microwave are also a nice ammenity. Didn't use the pool or the spa, but used the exercise room. The room has 3 excellent cardio machines and a TV to help pass the time while working out. It is a short walk to Nye beach. The bar/restaurant at Nye Beach(can't remember the name) had the best steamer clams I've ever tasted! You can eat downstairs in the bar, or upstairs in the relaxing restaurant with a view. The Whaler is just a short drive from the historic bay district. Only 2 small things to note: don't expect much from the gas fireplaces. They put out some heat, but aren't much to look at if you enjoy relaxing by the fire. Also, the pillows are really firm. If you like a soft pillow, bring your own. I will definitely stay at the Whaler again!

Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank rlloyd295
Reviewed 23 April 2007

My room was on the ground floor and smelled like MOLD, ants in the bathroom, a blanket that was TERRIBLE (come on folks it's cold on the coast), no microwave in the room, and a window that was broken....should I go on. Better places in Newport. Shop around and do your research for a nice stay.

• Stayed: April 2007
4  Thank ladylake99
Reviewed 28 October 2006

My wife and I spent a week traveling down the Oregon Coast and staying in various cities. (We researched all our stays on TripAdvisor.)

The Whaler in Newport was far and away our favorite. The third floor had been recently remodeled and it really showed. Our room (#373) was clean, spacious and had a nice big window overlooking the waves and the coastline. Plus, it has a cute little kitchenette with a sink, microwave and refrigerator unit. So each day, we would wake up, pull a few breakfast grocies from our fridge and enjoy breakfast by the window -- reading the paper and watching whales passing by in the distance.

There doesn't seem to be a coastline vs. non-coastline rooms (other than a few rooms that seemed to be tucked away near the office...be sure to ask not to have those). But I would recommend asking for a third-floor room, both for the view and, more importantly, the remodeling. I didn't see the other rooms so I can't comment on them.

The service was very nice and it seemed that the people swimming at the indoor pool were having a good time.

The days we were there were warmer than average, so the room got a little warm (especially since there isn't any air conditioning). But, my guess is that hotels in Newport generally don't have them due to the weather. Besides, we just opened our window and it cooled off pretty quick.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
7  Thank andrewgG695SV
Reviewed 10 September 2006

Excellent location. Service at a level that one would expect at a much more expensive hotel. Very polite and helpful staff.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Beachcomber10
Reviewed 7 September 2006

We stayed one night at the Whaler, with lots of fog clouding our view of the beach. I had picked the hotel for the water front view, and only got a quick glimpse the next morning as we left. The room was a standard beach area room, neat and clean. The front desk staff were all very friendly and helpful. It was a 10 minute walk to Nye Beach, which had only 2 restaurants to choose from, and not any shopping that I could see. The historic downtown area was about a mile away, which we did walk, but there are big hills included, ( we sure don't have them in Florida! ) There is a free shuttle running back and forth which no one seems to know anything about. That was a life saver on the way back! Breakfast was big muffins, coffee and juice, which you take to your room. Nothing fancy for a standard room, but I understand they have rooms with fireplaces for a more special evening.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple