“Breakfast for the hungry!”

Chalet Restaurant & Bakery
Ranked #2 of 5 Dessert in Newport
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Chalet Restaurant & Bakery is Newport's premier family restaurant. We are family owned and operated for the past 33 years. We feature quality ingredients with a wholesome, friendly atmosphere, and affordable pricing for your family to relax and enjoy. Chalet Restaurant & Bakery offers a diverse selection of breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu items to satisfy every taste, including fresh seasonal dishes. Our batters are homemade from scratch and all are carefully prepared and blended by hand, using only the finest ingredients. We make homemade jams, compotes, and syrups to further enhance our delicious pancakes and waffles. Pot roasts with carrots and onions and fresh Tom turkeys are roasted daily. We use only fresh potatoes for our mashed, baked, or hash browns, never frozen or dehydrated. Homemade soups, gravies, and sauces prepared daily. Nothing can replace fresh products for food value or taste. We feature fresh wild Pacific fresh and Yaquina Bay Oysters.
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

This place is a great staple restaurant. I usually come here for breakfast when I am really hungry. Country fried steak is always great. My friend recommends the Spanish Omelette, my husband loves the German sausages, eggs Benedict is always great too. Oh and the desserts are freaking amazing and made in house. Take a pie or cheesecake with you if you want. Yum!
They are usually busy and for good reasons, but I have never waited more than a couple minutes(less than 5) for a table.

Reviewed 4 July 2018 via mobile

Great homemade foods. Awesome service reasonable priced. Lots to choose from. Pies, pies and more pies. I love their homemade clam chowder.

Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

Like others on here we read reviews and decided to give it a try. We got there at breakfast time and didn't have a long wait. However, upon entering and saying that we had two adults and two children (under the age of 5, both starving but very well behaved) the waitresses and hostess decided to have a lengthy conversation in front of us about "where to stick us". When you hear such things as, "where can we stick them that's away from everyone", and "god why do we have to serve kids", and other really rude comments it doesn't make you want to stick around, but after driving 12 long hours we decided to stay instead of trying to find somewhere else. The problems continued from there. They stuck us in a corner at a dirty table. They didn't clean said table until I asked. We asked for coffee and hot chocolate and a kids chocolate milk. Not once did they come back to offer refils. Nor did they bring us glasses of water that we requested. We only saw our waitress 3 times, and it wasn't busy when we were there. The first time she was complaining about having to wash her hands because another waitress has a peanut allergy. The second was to take our orders. We asked if she had any suggestions or favorites, and she got really rude and acted like we were inconveniencing her by asking. We ordered breakfast omelettes, hash browns, and the coffee cake. And a kids pancake breakfast. The third time was when we got our food which was starting to get cold by the time we received it. The only positive I can give is the omelettes are large and packed full, and the coffee cake is large and very delicious. My kids loved it the most. The hashbrowns however were overcooked to where we couldn't even eat them and that was disappointing. Now let me say this, I understand sometimes kids make messes, we've all been places where kids are up running around or throwinh food, etc. However, my kids sat there and ate and were content. My daughter got upset and cried a little when it became apparent she couldn't have more chocolate milk. Because anytime we even tried to wave a waitress over or ask ours we were blatantly ignored. Another couple by us even noticed and tried sending a waitress over to be told "they'll get service when its their turn". I am incredibly disapointed by how we were treated and I wont go back nor recommend this restaurant to anyone I know based on this. Bad days happen, but when its by the entire wait staff thats a conscious choice you're making. The only reason I'm giving more than 1 star is because the food was really good, especially after driving 12 hours.

1  Thank MamaS14
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

We read the reviews and decided to give it a try. It's a nice place with lots of homemade pies on display. We noticed that many of the patrons visited with each other and interacted with the wait staff so we assumed it was a local favorite. Hubby ordered eggs, hash browns, and biscuit. The hash browns tasted of stale grease. The biscuit was large and heavy but ok. I had the blueberry coffee cake. It's was ample in size. In fact I took half home. It was very good but really sweet. that was to be expected since it has a cinnamon sugar topping. I would have liked to have seen more blueberries but it was still tasty. Service was good and the overall appearance was welcoming.
The location is right next to the Safeway so it would be a handy stop for picking up supplies after breakfast

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

So go to the Chalet! You will not be disappointed. Great food. Generous portions. Scrumptious baked goods. Attentive and fast service.