“Great condo visit through VI”

Embarcadero Resort Hotel
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Stayed here in a 2br with my MIL who has a Vacation Internationale membership. The room had one bedroom in an upper level with stairs that would be difficult for some (like my MIL). The unit had upper and lower decks and the view was wonderful. Kitchen was well stocked and we ate in during most of our visit. You could tell room was remodeled and the bathrooms were better than at home. :) Also had good internet wifi connection throughout room. Sometimes when we travel only certain areas of a unit can get reception. Great area, especially Newport Aquarium.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank steensteen

Reviewed 14 September 2011

BEWARE when reserving rooms at the Embarcadero!! I specifically asked for a "premium" room as I was told these rooms had been updated and were the best they offered (compared to peeling paint and run down conditions-their words). If they try to put you in room 233, make sure you don't accept. On our arrival, I spilled a little water on the kitchen floor. I wiped it up with paper towels that turned black with the grime that hadn't been cleaned up by housekeeping. They sent someone down and we waited while they cleaned the kitchen and bathroom floors as I was nervous to have my family walk on either. My husband joked that the stains on the carpet looked like someone was killed there - huge! As we pulled a "clean" towel from the stack, it had a black streak across it and a toothpaste stain that still smelled of mint! Gross! You cannot call a room upgraded because they have slapped up a couple of flat screen tv's! What a joke! The appliances were old and dirty as well as the cabinets and countertops. The restaurant served bland food and the bartender couldn't even get the simplest order right. I arranged this trip for 8 of us and felt awful that I was responsible for such a dissappointing stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank G G
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This hotel is in the midst of major remodeling and repair. It does appear to be mostly finished. If you get an old unit (as we did once) it's downright terrible. But if you get a newly remodeled room it can be excellent. We've found a great room, on the corner of a building in the upper lot, that gives a view out of two sides looking out over the bay (one side) and the river (the other). The room is clean and the kitchen and bath completely new. Wifi works well and there are two flatscreen TVs with DVD players.

The common areas are also remodeled and are very nice. There's a pool, exercise room, private dock, barbeque grills. The areas I inspected were all clean and well maintained.

It's a decent walk to the old dock area of Newport so you can get some exercise and eat at restaurants there without having to deal with the parking, but there is a road that takes you over to US 20 and then OR 99 if you want to avoid driving through -- can save alot of time on busy weekends.

Staff has been nice and helpful.

Only issues is parking wasn't convenient to our room and the bed was hard.

So advice: make sure you request a remodeled room and once you find one you like, save the room number for a return visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank almyt
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I was very disappointed with my last stay. The room was terrible. It was dirty. The furniture was old and worn. The carpet was old and worn. The bed was old and worn. I was afraid to sit down or go to bed. There were big dust balls under the frig. The shade in the lone window (2 shades) were broken, and would fall every time I opened or closed the shade. There was a huge spider hanging above the door outside. I was almost afraid to go outside.
I've stayed at the Embarcadero before and had a beautiful room..........so I know they have some nice rooms. This wasn't one of them. And I should not have been charged $139/night for this dump.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank katt238
Reviewed 7 August 2011

First impressions are daunting. However, check-in proceeds smoothly, and directions to Embarcadero are quite specific. The timeshare management company is Trading Places International, and we traded Our Canaan Valley (WV) townhouse (an RCI property) through Platinum Interchange. We “fired” RCI over a decade ago.

Because Embarcadero is an older (1972), sold-out resort, there is no obnoxious sales staff to deflect. Approaching during the dark of night is not encouraging, and the semi-permanent construction site near the condo entrance is foreboding. What have we gotten ourselves into? Clearly the Embarcadero is not a Hyatt, Marriott, or Westin.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple