“Great food, nice staff, fun atmosphere!”
Review of Thai Square

Thai Square
Ranked #505 of 4,630 Restaurants in Portland
Reviewed 16 August 2016

I had been looking all over the place for a new thai food restaurant to try out. I remembered driving by this one and searched on it for yelp. The reviews were good enough, so off we went. I was with my mom and my boyfriend. Pressure was on, because my mom requested thai for dinner.

It was nice, because we didn't go anywhere near downtown to deal with traffic or parking. We parked in front of the restaurant and there is plenty of street parking around. You walk up to the front of the restaurant, which has several types of herbs and garlic growing on a bench. When we got inside we all were happy seeing that we weren't the only people in the place, and several tables were occupied. It was nice and cool inside, so it was nice to come in out of the heat.

The staff were very kind, they sat us right away and took our drink order after a minute. Guys...they chilled their wine glass! So when my Pinot Gris came out, it was so dang refreshing, I had to refrain from gulping it down. They have wine, beer and liquor. But I'd have to say, what they are most famous for- is their thai iced tea, which comes in a cute little pitcher or big one. About half the tables inside were enjoying them! They also have a green thai iced tea, which is not my thing, but it sounds fun!

They have a LOT going on with their menu. To the point that we were just flipping through and reading and reading. Options are great, but then I was super torn! After way too much over thinking I went with their a boring Pad Thai, with chicken, but it was one of the best that I've had, so I know I'll be back to try other dishes. I asked for a side of the peanut sauce, which was different than most places, it had more crunch to it and at the same time seemed more runny, it was good and obviously homemade. My mom got fried rice with tofu and my boyfriend had the pad see ew. So no, we weren't very adventurous. But it had been so hot, so we were excited to just go try something and have some left overs.

And leftovers is an understatement. Their portions are huge! I felt like I had eaten a couple of servings and my plate still looked full. My mom and boyfriend had been picking at my plate as well. So keep that in mind if you give this place a try- which you should. We loved everything about it. Next time we'll get crazy and try one of their salmon dishes, which is really intriguing.

We will definitely be back and we will most definitely tell people about this place!

Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

We were on vacation and had a long day at the zoo decided we wanted Thai food before heading back to the hotel. The excellent rating we found on TA was spot on a little out of the way but worth it! The food and service great! An awesome ending to the day.

Reviewed 27 June 2016

WE were over-tired, over-hungry and generally over-wrought with too much driving and not able to find this place being totally unfamiliar with Portland and a major road closure. This does not look like your typical Thai restaurant, the walls are filled with comic book poster covers and a few movie posters! They also have cool light fixtures with muti-colored lights! If you go, look up!
The food was Wonderful! We had pot sticker appetizers, they were plump and de-lish!
DD had Vegan yellow Curry dish that was wonderfully fragrant obvs with curry but something-something we could not put our finger on. The portion was also HUGE! We ate this for for another meal!! I had Pad Thai with Chix, cuz I always do! It was also wonderfully fragrant! I ate way too much because it was way too good! We also had Thai Iced coffee that re-charged us! We were very tempted to go back the next night but our travels did not bring us near here. Great if you are looking at Reed College for any reason.
I have to say something great about the sound levels in the restaurant. They were perfect! I could hear DD without having to shout,, just a normal speaking voice, I could hear the music which was playing softly and I could hear other guests but not so much as to be intrusive or actually hear every word they were saying.
There is a trend in restaurants today where a 'live' sound is a positive sound. My hearing is such that I cannot hear individual sounds. I can see your lips moving and I can see you are speaking but I cannot break down the sounds enough to actually understand. This is what happens to me in bars, and airplanes. These are very lonely places for me. Why would I want to go into someplace where I feel so isolated from everyone?
So bonus points to Thai Square for having really pleasant acoustics!!

Menu is HUGE! Physically and with many items!

Reviewed 11 April 2016 via mobile

We had a 'crispy chicken' Panang curry, along with a chicken pad Thai & my son had the Pad See Yew. (Sp?) The curry & pad Thai were very unusual & delicious. Service was good. We also enjoyed the DC comic posters on the walls. We get to Portland 4-5 times per year & always check out the Thai restaurants. This one will be s repeat!

1  Thank FreddoTraveler
Reviewed 21 March 2016

The menu explains different aspects of Thai cuisine. Informative and fun to read. We were very pleased with the service and the food. Grilled salmon with basil - very nice. Fried salmon with ginger - a little chewy. Fish cakes - delicate yet distinctive flavour. Fried calamari - enjoyable. Vegetables with vermicelli - reasonably good. Overall it was a nice experience. Colourful walls and art work, good service, very good food, nicely presented, a nice place to visit with friends. We'll go again!

1  Thank Evelyn C