“Amazing Mexican food !!!”
Review of Nuestra Cocina

Nuestra Cocina
Ranked #135 of 4,415 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

This turned out to be our favorite restaurant in Portland. Our server, Kaylie, was super helpful in guiding us through the menu and margaritas. They are incredibly flexible and made minor tweaks to accommodate our tastes. The extra spicy margaritas were especially fantastic ! We really enjoyed the pork chile rellenos, the gorditas, corn on the cob, taquitos, and camarones. This may be our favorite Mexican restaurant in America.

Reviewed 25 July 2016

My husband and I ate dinner at this little gem. We arrived at 5PM to find a line of people waiting for the doors to open. After being seated, we needed time to examine the menu and asked many questions because this is not a typical Mexican restaurant. The chef has mastered the "sauces" which bring the food to a higher level. We enjoyed the hand made tortillas with salsas and Margaritas while waiting for our meals. My husband had the pork chops with tomatillo and I had the fish special, sea bass. Our server was very attentive and informative.

Reviewed 17 July 2016 via mobile

We're Chicago transplants, and have enjoyed the Rick Bayless "gourmet" nuevo Mexican food that he served. NC matches Topolobampo at a more affordable and accessible location than other top Portland restaurants. We thought the ceviche and fresh lime house margaritas were great.

Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

Nuestra Cocina - "Our Kitchen" - is a wonderful go-to Mexican restaurant on SE Division in our neighborhood. There are choices in this little foodie spot on that street/good sushi across the street/a pizza joint for a slice or 3/or, a high-end spot directly across the street. One does have a different way of going/places to eat, if Nuestra is jammed - which it can be depending on the time.
Last night a group of 8 ladies slipped with ease into a corner booth/table at 7:30 PM. Nice. This was my 3rd time at NC. Kayla was our server and she has been "shouted-out" in Yelp in the past I see. She is terrific. We drank the house margaritas/some w/ salt rims or no. We shared two apps- the ceviche, which was ok. Pretty w/ fresh avocado sliced on top: rock fish in chunks in red sauce. That was it. The APP special was pork and salsa verde on white corn tortillas. The apps were eaten. Some left-overs. My table mate and I grabbed the last 2 fish specials at $23/per. Grilled mahi mahi on a white plate w/ a beautiful avocado cream sauce, and a mole topped with bright yellow grilled corn. Gorgeous plate. The fish was crispy on the top and moist and delicious. Kudos. The only thing that was wrong with this dish and my experience at NC, was way too much added salt. I think in all the foods last night. The fish dish - especially, the mole and avo creme. Too bad. I forgot my normal "no added salt" saying, and I paid for it at 4 in the morning needing my 3rd glass of water. My bad.
*I advise to order a nice tequila and sip it - the house margaritas were salty and sweet. The specials are the way to go. The fresh foods at NC are always local and lovely. The serving team is always kind. I will be back, and sit at the bar to watch the cooks NOT add salt. Thank you Neustra Cocina.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

A very busy place, and there is a reason for it. hand made tortillas, a well rehearsed staff you will find if you sit at the bar and watch food go out. Quality and consistency are bench marks here. We had three Antojitos & Ensaladas and shared. The Enchiladas en mole puya con pollo y queso cotija, the carnitas de costillas con salsa verde and the Tacos de puerco. They were perfect. I wanted the ceviche but we were full. Next time we must try the pork chops and tomatillo and the gorditas rellanas.