“Cool restaurant with delicious food”

Mediterranean Exploration Company
Ranked #31 of 4,420 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$20 - US$60
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A restaurant serving innovative cuisine from the eastern Mediterranean and beyond. Drawing from extensive research and travels to Israel and surrounding areas, the menu features exceptional plates that are culturally diverse yet cohesive, paying tribute to the exploration of people across the Mediterranean throughout history. In an open and vibrant atmosphere with an industrial-meets-refined décor in Portland's Pearl District, M.E.C. encourages family-style dining and features a playful beverage program with nods to the flavors of the Mediterranean.
Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

(Close to a 5-star....it was tough!)

Stopped in here on a trip to Portland and we're so happy they had space for us! Grabbed a seat at the bar for dinner and drinks.

Started off with tuna tartare- honestly best I've had- but it is a bit different than the usual. Big chunks of fresh tuna with olive oil and great spices.

My husband and I split some veggies and lamp chops as well. Good amount of food. We had the broccolini which was great - grilled with lots of flavor and a yogurt sauce. Carrots were also delicious - could have been cooked a little more but the seasoning was so good we got over the crunch quickly. My husband loved the lamp chops the best- cooked so well and again with tons of flavor. Everything we had was heavily seasoned to perfection.

Only semi-negative was the drink - the oldest lemon - it's like an old fashioned but the salty liqueur was overpowering as the ice melted.

Overall awesome vibe, great bartenders and delicious food. Definitely add to your Portland itinerary if you're visiting!

Reviewed 29 October 2016

I joined a group of people for dinner who had been there the night before who said this place was to die for. I was skeptical but boy were they right. The flavours in every dish were heaven to my tastebuds. It was also very reasonable. I especially liked the tuna and beef tartars as well as he radicchio salad. They have such an expansive menu you almost don't know where to start. The service was quick and pleasant. I will definitely return.

Reviewed 19 October 2016

We had a great time at this restaurant celebrating my birthday. There were 5 of us and we ordered 13 plates. The nice waitress thought we could cut that down by one dish or so, but we went ahead with 13 and found we had more food than we could eat. But I was happy to have the yummy leftovers! Food was really good. Unique and tasty. I really liked the grilled Octopus...it was tender and very flavorful. All the food was good and we all really enjoyed the experience and fun of trying the variety of excellent food.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

I have been here twice now, and this one is a keeper. The food, the drinks and the service are fantastic. This is a great place where one can order several small plates to share with friends.

1  Thank Maria Gracia C
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

Great food served in a fun and vibrant restaurant. We where in Portland to celebrate my birthday and our wedding anniversary we went to a number of restaurants, both high end and brew pubs. Our favourite evening was at MEC. The food was inventive, tasty, and interesting, not your normal pub food. My favourite dish was the lamb ribs.

1  Thank Lyn J