“Wine club members love this place”
Review of Abacela

Abacela
Ranked #4 of 43 things to do in Roseburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Abacela is a world-class, multi-award winning winery and viticulture success story. 21 years ago when founders Earl and Hilda Jones planted its first vines they had no way of knowing what the outcome would be. They were scientists with zero winemaking experience who left secure careers and trekked 2700 miles west, kids in tow, to test a hypothesis. Abacela was an experiment they hoped would answer a question that had puzzled them for years: Why doesn't America produce any fine varietal Tempranillo wine? Earl and Hilda probably weren't the first enophiles to wonder why the great grape of Spain's famous Rioja wines was mysteriously absent from American fine wine. However they were the first to approach the question with scientific rigor, form a hypothesis and then devote their lives to testing it. Abacela is the result of one ordinary family's curiosity and determination that transformed their lives, built one of Oregon's best-loved wineries and influenced winegrowing not only in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, but across America.
Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

Great wines and beautiful setting. Love to sit on upper deck with a bottle of wine and one of their snack plates.

Reviewed 17 June 2017

Had the pleasure of a tour set up for us while we were out in Oregon. The staff in the tasting room was welcoming and friendly. Started outside with the head grounds person and had a helpful and wonderful introduction to the property. Then we were joined by Andrew, the winemaker, who took us through the warehouse, barrel room and ended in the tasting cave. Andrew was so gracious with his time and was wonderful to talk with.
The wines were phenomenal, different from many other American wineries as they have more Spanish and Portuguese grapes and wines. I will say there was not a wine I tasted that I did not like. The whites, especially the Albariño, were wonderful and different from other whites one normally has. Reds were great and not too tanniny. The port they have was delicious and very much unlike the dessert style ports widely available.
Can't say thank you enough to the entire staff and Andrew for such a wonderful visit!

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

Best across the board vineyard we tried in southern Oregon. Could have bought every bottle we tasted and we are very picky. $10 per rating but worth it.

AbacelaWinery, Public Relations Manager at Abacela, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2017

Thank you PelleasPhiladelphia for the kind words. We hope to see you again during your next Oregon travels. Cheers!

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

We live Abacela! Susan and the other staff are always friendly very welcoming and make us feel at home. And their red wine....delicious! Some of our favorites are : Malbec, Tannat, Syrah, Merlot.

Reviewed 28 May 2017

I wouldn't know if this was a 5-star vineyard or not. While the setting was beautiful the customer service sucked! My daughter and I stopped in to taste one of their wines that a friend recommended. The woman working at the counter informed us that unless we wanted to pay $15 each for tastings and snacks, she was unable to allow me to taste the 1 wine I was interested in. I explained that we were traveling through, didn't need to taste the others and were on a time frame. She refused even a taste and basically shooed us back out the door. Definitely won't return nor purchase these wines in the future.

AbacelaWinery, Guest Relations Manager at Abacela, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2017

Hi Sunday1953. This is Tina, I was the one working the entry during our annual Memorial Day Weekend Open House. I want to offer you my sincere apology for the poor experience you had at Abacela. Yes, the Open House fee was $15 for all wine tasting and appetizers, but I didn’t understand that you were only interested in just one wine, otherwise I would have definitely let you and your daughter taste that particular wine. It was a very busy day, and although that is not an excuse, I do want the opportunity to make it right. I would love to offer you and your daughter a complimentary Private Tasting and VIP Winery Tour if you are willing to give me and Abacela a second chance. Please call the winery or email me directly at tastingroom@abacela.com. I look forward to hearing from you.