“Dank, dark and depressing”
Review of Rock Park Cottages

Rock Park Cottages
Reviewed 16 October 2012

After renting houses on the beach for 20 years I finally found a lemon. When I walked through the door and was overwhelmed by the musty, moldy odor I should have turned around right then and asked for my money back.
I immediately opened the windows to let some air in the place when I discovered that every window sill was black with mold. The walls of the place were dark brown veneer that were warped from obvious moisture damage. There had been no attempt to make the decor cheerful and inviting. The furniture was old and shabby, the curtains hideous, the walls were mostly blank with a few incredibly lame attempts of art.
The beds were made with sheets that you could see through and there was not even a bottom fitted sheet, but a top sheet spread out over the mattress.
From the toilet paper to the watered down dish soap it was obvious that the owners were doing everything they could to spend as little money as possible on the place.
The only thing good about this place was the location which was not even fully taken advantage of.
Our place had an ocean view, if you were standing up or sitting at the table, the windows had cross bars on them and were not optimally placed. We usually don't mind if it's stormy and rainy at the beach because we like to be able to sit inside and watch the storms, but this was not possible, there was no comfortable seating where you could see outside. The sad thing is that the place has so much potential.
This is the only place I've ever stayed at on the coast that I will not return to. The yurts where we have stayed in the campgrounds have less mold than this place.
This place needs a lot of bleach and some serious updating.
Check out the photos, they speak for themselves.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Nancy B

Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is a great place to stay right next to the ocean that is relatively cheep and cozy. You can fall asleep with the sound of the waves crashing down on the beach and without the sound of a highway running through your house (which is my case where I live). I'm not usually one to write reviews, but me and my girlfriend stayed here for our anniversary last year and are definitely going back this year. I have read the other comments and (to the bad reviews) I think things have changed since we went there because the upkeep was great. Adam and Kristy were very inviting and even gave us a tour of the surrounding area. We have only stayed in Yachats 3 other times, but this has been the best place so far. =) cheers!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AndrewTSowanick
Reviewed 17 October 2011

No--don't stay here; we will have a harder time getting reservations! Just joking.

We have been coming to this clean, friendly, comfy motel for almost 40 years, and absolutely love it. The units are all slightly different--no cookie cutter here. The motel sits next to Rock Park, and is maybe 2 minutes from the beach. You will fall asleep to the sound of the ocean waves breaking on the rocks at the base of the park. There is also the A-frame, with a super wood stove and an ocean-view swing, that we treat ourselves to several times a year.

We love this place no matter what the weather--it is cozy in stormy weather and we settle in with a good book. There are books on the shelf if you have forgotten yours. Sunny outside--get out and walk the beach or climb on the rocks and watch the waves.

The young hosts are friendly and helpful, tho we do still miss the wonderful lady, Virginia, who was a welcome part of a stay at Rock Park for many years. We are so glad that this great place stayed in the family instead of being sold and built upon.

Want cookie cutter and high-end--skip Rock Park Cottages. Modern and up to date no, but that is not what we look for. Want to be able to just settle in and relax--this is your place.

Room Tip: The A-frame and Unit 1 have ocean views, and Unit 3 has a slight river view. Unit 5 is very small a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Lovestravel1942
Reviewed 23 September 2011

1st I would agree with a previous reviewers comments that the current owners Adam and Kristy are very nice and that the location is wonderful. Great beach and pet friendly. We didn't stay in the A-Frame but one of the smaller 1 bedroom kitchenettes. This is where we stray from the other review in that it was definitely not clean nor properly stocked for a kitchenette. There was a "cat urine" odor that we just couldn't get used to and although the exterior is wonderfully inviting and quaint, the interior is clearly in need of major TLC. Ancient, uncomfortable couches that should be thrown out as they are too dirty to even bother attempting cleaning, cobwebbed lighting, a "sticky" kitchen table, rickety kitchen chairs, loose/unsafe electrical outlets and dirty flooring. A toaster that only toasted one side of the bread, kitchen supplies grossly lacking such as no can-opener, not even salt and pepper! Its sad because the potential is there and the people are great, just not enough effort to keep this place up/clean.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank TripSkipper1
Reviewed 26 January 2011

I have stayed her pretty much every summer with my family. We usually rent the A-Frame which has 3 levels to it! You can sit at the bottom floor on a swinging chair and watch the waves roll in and out. You can also go up to the loft (the top floor) and take a nap or read while waves crash right outside your window. These cottages are cute and quaint with wonderful views of the park and the ocean. The beach is super close and its a wonderful place to stay. These cottages use to be owned by a sweet lady named virginia but now they are owned by a wonderful couple named Adam and Kristy. They are so nice and they even participate in the local saturday market where they sell beautiful hand made Jewelry! This place is super inexpensive for what you get. Each cottage has their own kitchen or kitchenette and the cottages are always clean and lovely inside! Most cottages are pet friendly. If you have any problems the owners always exceed your needs. We had a large family reunion one year and our one bathroom was not enough for showers for all of us, so they let us come over to their place to use their shower! Now thats hospitality! This place is great and I have nothing bad to say about it! Love this place, I will keep coming back every year.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank b1wa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yachats
5.6 km away
2.9 km away
Silver Surf Motel
Silver Surf Motel
#3 of 11 in Yachats

Been to Rock Park Cottages? Share your experiences!