“Horrendous service, lame atmosphere, decent food”

New Star Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 26 Restaurants in Bartonsville
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

Went there tonight and was extremely disappointed. No idea how this place has 4.4 stars. The food is decent-nothing to write home about but nothing to complain about. However, the service was absolutely atrocious. It took about half an hour to receive the first dish and a solid ten minutes or more between each dish after that. The appetizers (cold sesame noodles and dumplings, neither of which require much prep time) came last. We would up cancelling two items we ordered that hadn't come when we were finishing up, two hours after we got there. There was only one waiter (for 10+ tables) who was assisted by his 10 year old daughter. She was more on point than he.

The space is small but nice enough if you're in the front. We were shoved in the back in a table without a light (all other tables have a light above them) surrounded by boxes since they seemingly do not have ample storage space.

Despite the decent food, the service and overall experience were extremely subpar. I would not go back here again and I certainly don't recommend it unless you want to waste over two hours on just decent food and are not nearly hungry yet when you arrive.

Reviewed 21 June 2016

Service= Smiles+greetings
Food=The food that you would be served on Queen Elizabeth's birthday.
Overall=I'll definitely be back for more

1  Thank Axel W
Reviewed 7 March 2016

I go to this restaurant almost every week usually on Sunday after I close my booth at the flea market. I walk in the door and they always greet me with a pleasant hello. They also remember what my usual order is. I have never had a bad meal from either the previous owner or the current owners. The current owners usually have their two children there. Their son is about 15 and he helps out taking orders and with the cash register. Their daughter is about 7 years old and can also run the cash register. The restaurant is family owned and operated. I guess you can tell that I am a big fan of this place. Oh, one other thing. You can stand at the counter and watch your food being prepared too. You get a meal and a show. What a bargain. I have only had take out there because after being at the flea market all day I want to eat at home but the dining room has a pleasant atmosphere. I recommend this restaurant.

2  Thank JerryTruax
Reviewed 6 November 2015

This is the best Chinese restaurant in area for take out..Call and in less than 1/2 hour you have a great meal..Their specials are great prices...

2  Thank Dorothy W
Reviewed 15 April 2015

So scratch the reviews, we're starting over.
A few reviews below simply can't be trusted since one titled Buffet Food must have been elsewhere, since this has been a Chinese take out and eat in Restaurant since the owner opened his second restaurant, East Gourmet Buffet in Bartonsville 5 years ago. Another review calls it relatively "new" and mentions the adult businesses in the area in the last 10 years. They have been here 40. (Before 1975 next to truck stop) The original owner operated New Star as a Buffet at the far left end of the complex it is in. (Fountain Court) It was there for 17 years. 5 years ago when his son started East Gourmet Buffet, they moved this restaurant to where it is now, second restaurant from right, making this their dine in / take out restaurant. He then made it an Asian Fusion restaurant with Chinese, Japanese and Thai. Sushi was added in 2014 for a short time. This sushi chef is now at East Gourmet Buffet as well as most of the original cooks.
The empty appearance as reviewed below is due to the original owner taking his personal decorative items, and the new owners haven't brought any decor in yet.
Food was always great, but I have been coming here many years and may be biased. So time will tell if the food stays consistent.
Since the original owner started this business 22 years ago, he wants to see the new owners do well. Thanks to Peter, Steven, Sungo, Jackie, Defu, Maggie and Jessie for many years of excellent service. You will be missed.

2  Thank BearStoves