“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!”
Review of Gelinas Manor

Gelinas Manor
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I had the displeasure of staying at this Bed and Breakfast. I had a reservation for two nights. I had an emergency where I could only stay one night. I explained the situation to the owner, the mother, that I would have to leave first thing in the morning due to an unexpected emergency. I was told there would be no refund since I held up the room. This ended up to be a fortunate situation, as I would not have wanted to stay for two nights. If you are a fan of creepy, scary movies, then this might be the perfect place for you. I even told my friends if they did not hear from me in the morning to please check the freezer, basement, etc. I was told my bedroom door locked, it did not. I slid the dresser in front of the bedroom door. I could not leave anything in my room. The steps that led upstairs were very old yellow shag carpet that has slipped off the steps due to the age of the carpet, which is probably from the 60's, maybe the '70's. They are extremely dangerous. The son, Michael, seemed to be a nice person, The owner, however, was not. She must sit and watch the front door because when I approached the front door to use the code to enter, she must have pushed a button to open the door because it just swung open...freaked me out! The mattress on the bed was probably 20 years old as were the pillows...horrible. The sheets and bed ruffle had tears. No A/C other than a window unit that was really loud. There was junk piled up in the room. It was decorated straight out of the fifties. I was told the night before that breakfast was promptly at 8:30 am. I was up and dressed and downstairs at 7:20 am to make sure they remembered I was leaving and would not be there for breakfast. Before I said anything the owner, who was preparing the breakfast shared with me that she was very sick and had been vomiting all morning. I told her I could not stay for breakfast. She became very angry and said she made the breakfast inbetween the vomiting. Well, hearing that, I I would not have eaten it anyway. Also...They charge for a cup of coffee..$1.00. Really? I always stay at Bed and Breakfasts and never have I been charged for coffee. The pictures are very deceiving. It looks nothing like the photos. The room charge should be more like $55 per night. But even at that price, I would never stay here. I truly believe they have written their own reviews, because this place should not be on anyone's itinerary. And, my review has nothing to do with the no refund situation. I can understand why there would be no refund. I was the only fool staying there. Check the dates of all reviews, please. You have been warned, DO NO STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: Do not choose a room here at all! I did take some REAL photos to show those that I know that stay at...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank Beverly S

Reviewed 28 December 2012

Location is romantic, several good places for dinner ranging from pizza to fine dining.

Due to prior plans we were not able to stay for a luscious filling breakfast which was served @ 8:30. We did have breakfast down at the corner which was fine and very good. With prior notice, this could have been different.

Due call ahead prior to booking to sort all your needs and details.

Thank you to the Inn Keeper for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2012

we planned a last minute getaway for an early birthday present. I booked online and also had some roses awaiting us when we got into the room. the room was clean, roomy and we had a private bathroom which was very nice. The only downside to the whole trip was a slow drain in the shower. The breakfast offered by Kitty in the morning was top of the line and we enjoyed it with 2 other parties who also were impressed. We enjoyed our dinner at the tavern and walked around Childrens Lake afterwards to enjoy the sunset.

Room Tip: we got one of the manor rooms with the private bath.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My family started a 100 mile section of the AT- The Inn was great, the breakfast was fantastic and the outdoor porch was perfect for a glass of wine.

I have read other reviews that this Inn is not AT friendly. Not true...yes they do not want our dirty packs in the room staining their carpet and comforters. You just leave them on the back porch- totally safe.

The inn keepers son Michael was our AT shuttle and was great. 3 days into our hike..my 11 year old daughter got quite ill- throwing up with a fever. We called Mike...he dropped everything and picked up my wife and daughter from the trail. We will never forget what he did for us.

Hiker friendly and a great contact to have on the trail...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Krav1
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Boiling Springs, PA is a charming, U.S. town near the PA Turnpike Carlisle and Harrisburg.) The rolling hills and fishing pond resemble a Norman Rockwell scene from the 1950’s.

We elected a B & B over a chain motel, and were rewarded with an excellent overnight visit at Gelinas Manor. Gelinas Manor is near the center of Boiling Springs, PA; however, the B & B is very quaint and quiet. We appreciate the hospitality of the owner, Kitty.

B & Bs are not for all the traveling public. We found Gelinas Manor to meet the standards of a fine European B & B. Gelinas Manor is a fine Queen Ann home, and resembled the home of my maternal great grandparents from buffet to the glassware collection. We understand the dilemma of a recent post by a backpacker, and as a fellow backpacker, I would never intrude on a B&B. Basic civility on the part of guests, and respect for the privacy and investments of the owners is common sense.

Owning a B & B is very hard work, and we always respect the fact that we are guests in a private home. The owners are readers, and nearly every room has a wall of built in bookshelves with books that I have read as well.

No one comes to a B & B for television, but we all travel with laptop, and Gelinas Manor provides free WIFI.

The breakfast surpasses the “free breakfast” of many branded hotels. And the breakfast surpasses the Bob Evans fare.

For us, Gelinas Manor was a perfect tonic following a week’s visit at an upscale condo on the Vegas Strip.

Room Tip: All rooms have quaintness and charm. There is no road noise in the P.M.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SavantIII_11

Been to Gelinas Manor? Share your experiences!