“Good but not quite as good as the original ”

The Breakfast Place
Ranked #55 of 437 Restaurants in Erie
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Found 2 restaurants in town with very similar names and after further reading I understand that the 2 used to be 1 but after a rift between owners they split. So an almost identical menu would make sense. For a truly head to head competition, we got the same breakfast from both places just one day apart. Day 1 was The Breakfast Place at 4108 Peach St. The place was moderately crowded when we arrived about 9 am but had a line at the door by the time we left. I ordered Cajun eggs. 2 eggs over homefries, ham, onion, mushroom and American cheese sprinkled with a Cajun seasoning blend. I also ordered the toast and coffee. My husband got 1/2 order biscuit and sausage gravy scrambled egg and hashbrowns. My breakfast was good, the Cajun spice was nice but aside from the homefries and eggs the other stuff was relatively cool. Definitely not hot. Also the homefries were deep fried, I'm not a real fan of that. There was a ton of it though, I left quite a bit and a whole piece of toast. My husbands biscuit and gravy he said was fair, not very flavorful. Total for the meal was $15 and change.
The second morning we went to The Original Breakfast Place at 2340 E 38th St. We got there at about 830, place as crowded but a few tables were opened we were immediately sat and drink order taken. When we realized they had the same menu, we decided on a repeat breakfast. This time the Cajun eggs were very good. It was hot all the way through and the the potatoes were not deep fried. Although not quite as large of a portion, I enjoyed it more and did finish my breakfast. I will admit I didn't care for their rye toast but in hindsight they offered Italian toast and I should have ordered that. My husbands biscuit and gravy much better than it's counterpart the day before. Total for breakfast #2 $12 and change. Breakfast #2 was the clear winner.
That being said, both places were good. I wouldn't hesitate to visit either again.

Reviewed 25 July 2017

we decided to try out this place for breakfast one morning and found it very cozy and did we get a lot of food for the price (well Yes we Did). Saturday morning and we got right in and got served quickly and the food was great. more than most places and about the same prices as others

1  Thank 977terryl
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

I love to try local restaurants and I thought one called the Breakfast Place would be a good choice. Unfortunately, what I had was similar to the breakfast I could have gotten for free at my hotel. The sausage gravy and biscuits were fine, but the gravy wasn't homemade, it was from a can. The breakfast potatoes were frozen from Sysco. Maybe if I had tried something else, it would have been better, but the Breakfast Place was just mediocre.

Reviewed 21 June 2017

So breakfast places in Erie are far and few between. Even after searching Tripadvisor. Our plan was to go to Lawrence Park Dinor, but it was Monday and they were sadly closed!!!! I don't enjoy going to chain restaurants when I visit new towns, even if they are in the top 10 on TripAdvisor's list. Actually I don't think chain restaurants should be allowed on TripAdvisor, or they should have their own category ("Chain restaurants"). Anyway, somehow my son (16yo) was doing the searching and found this place. I quickly reviewed it and thought it was in the top 15 (Not sure what I was looking at). I decided to give it a whirl. This was what looked to be an old car dealership with a large ramp on the right side of the building to enter (which is not in the photos pictured for this diner). When we entered you enter directly into the dining area. There was a gentleman standing behind the bar/cashier area to the right, who never even acknowledged us, however looked at us several times. There was a full house, but we were the only ones waiting to be seated, on a Monday. None of the waitresses acknowledged us either, however, someone was cleaning off a table, which we were eventually instructed to sit at. I was annoyed from the start as we weren't greeted and just standing there waiting to figure out what to do. The menu was small, CHEAP and didn't offer a lot of variety. My go to breakfast is 2 eggs, turkey sausage, avocado and tomato slices. No toast, no home fries. They didn't have avocado and when I asked for tomato slices she obliged but rather brought me out a dish of chopped tomatoes. The biggest complaint I have was the wait for our food. For four people it took over an hour to receive our meal. I'm not sure if this is the norm for them, but considering the wait, the food was NOTHING to rave about. I would definitely skip this place and drive 20 minutes to Lawrence Park Dinor or go for Cracker Barrel. Not to be confused with the Original Breakfast Place, they used to be a pair, but are no longer, one can't be better than the other, they both rank #50 and #51 on TripAdvisor.

1  Thank bboughter830
Reviewed 30 April 2017

What a great place for breakfast the menu is extensive the omelettes are great as well as the waffles . There is a wait on Saturday mornings but worth it.

Been to The Breakfast Place? Share your experiences!