“Not up to the quality I would expect from a Hilton Garden Inn”

Hilton Garden Inn Hershey
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hummelstown
Reviewed 8 August 2017

This past weekend my son and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Hershey. As a Hilton Diamond Member I've stayed at a number of Hilton properties across the US and many of those have been Hilton Garden Inn properties.

I found this property to come up short of the standard that I'm used to for a variety of reasons.

First off, we booked an upgraded King Deluxe room which I thought would have been a smart move to give us more space and a couch to sit on while in the room. Unfortunately, when I went to pick out my room using the Hilton App, I found that the only King Deluxe rooms on each floor are either (A) directly across from the elevator or (B) directly across from the ice maker on each floor. Figuring that guests would be less likely to congregate outside of the ice maker we opted for room 337 across from the ice maker. This proved to be a noisy choice, though it may have been better than the other option. In hind sight, I would have picked a standard King or Double Queen room where we could have been further away from both of these amenities.

Second, there is only one elevator in this hotel. Should the elevator go out of service, then I would imagine the only other option would be for guests to take the stairs to their floor with luggage in tow. Fortunately this did not happen during our stay, but I could see this as a concern for those considering this hotel with mobility issues.

Third, the fire alarm went off several times during our stay. The first time on Saturday night for a brief period of time while we were watching a movie. I wasn't sure if the sound was from the movie we were watching or from the building itself. The second time was at 6:30 AM on Sunday morning. My son and I quickly got our selves together and exited our room and proceeded to the lobby. When I inquired at the front desk about what was going on with the fire alarm going off, I got a glib response from the man at the front desk who indicated that the fire alarm is "finicky" and that it goes off rather frequently for no apparent reason. This to me is unacceptable and a breeding ground for complacency among the staff and guests to not take these alarms seriously. This should be addressed and resolved by hotel management with urgency.

Other things of note, while this hotel is an older property, the building is showing it's age as the plaster on the walls in our room had visible cracks. Also, when I was going to place a call to the front desk, I noticed that the phone in our room was mislabeled as room 325 (not 337). From a safety perspective, this is my second concern. Having the room number mislabeled on the phone can cause confusion should a call need to be placed in an emergency.

The good:
Housekeeping did an outstanding job of cleaning and servicing our room in a timely manner.

The restaurant staff did a good job of taking care of patrons during the busy breakfast hours in the morning.

Room Tip: Avoid the King Deluxe rooms due to their proximity to the elevators and ice makers.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Barbara L, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Dear Mr. H:

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Hilton Garden Inn Hershey hotel. I am so sorry that your stay was impacted by a fire alarm that malfunctioned twice during your stay. We take safety and security most seriously and the problems you encountered are being resolved for our guest protection. Please accept my sincere apology and I look forward to speaking with you.

Kind regards,
Barbara Lock, AGM/DOS
Hilton Garden Inn Hershey

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Service was excellent! Cassandra was great. My sis and I had our kids for weekend. Four in total. Nice big queen suite with extra rollaway beds , so everyone got one. The lobby is really nice and we all enjoyed the big breakfast buffet the next day. Nice fitness center and indoor pool too! Fun time - will stay here again

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the HGI on our way to the Chocolate Tour bike ride. It's just so easy. Parking was ample and felt safe, though we brought our bikes to our rooms. No sense tempting fate. Breakfast was not included in the room rate, but eggs are cooked to order. The fruit was fresh and the coffee was hot.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2017

Our family stayed for two nights taking in the Chocolate Factory and Hershey Park nearby. The front desk upgraded our room due to an error on my part in booking, above and beyond any expectations we would have had. The early morning breakfast staff was a absolute delight, chatting with our two young sons who were so excited about their big day. The selection and quality of food was a pleasant surprise, fresh and delicious with great variety. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Hershey.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Reviewed 2 August 2017

The location was great. The service was good. I would stay here again next time the family wants to go visit Hershey Park. I wish they gave more free water based on the number of nights we stayed. We only got it for one additional day after check-in.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hummelstown
5.8 km away
Comfort Inn at the Park
#10 of 25 in Hershey
3.6 km away
Springhill Suites Hershey Near the Park

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Hershey? Share your experiences!