All reviews cloud farm house staff learn how these ladies life changing video review theory lessons operations manager in town green waves bring earplugs yoga sessions horseback riding second week light sleeper dietary restrictions whole week
Reviewed 17 May 2016

I was blown away by the food, location, service and overall attention that was provided throughout my stay at the Chica Brava Cloud Farm retreat. The instructors were so welcoming and full of energy, it was super inspiring to be able to spend a week with such a strong, fun group of women. The days were long and full but the surf instruction and time in the water was worth it. I left feeling refreshed but also very excited about the progress that I feel like I made in the water. It was the perfect balance between a relaxing vacation and an exciting life experience. Nothing but good memories!

Reviewed 4 May 2016

It has been years since I have tried to surf and I had missed it so I booked a trip. CHICABRAVA is truly a special place run by special people. Based on my schedule I stayed at the Surf House and it was just what I needed. It was clean, incredibly well kept, and right in the middle of everything (which is wonderful and sometimes crazy). You get in on the first day and just sort of settle. You meet the ChicaBrava people and your fellow campers and get to know your surroundings (the town is tiny so this isn’t hard).

The morning of day two, you are in a lesson on surfing and you meet your boardand you are off to the water within hours and, most likely, on your feet at least for a second.

I went down physically and emotionally beat up and they worked around my physical constraints and emotionally it was very healing which is partly due to being away, working hard at accomplishing something and the amazing women you are surrounded by.

If you have always wanted to learn to surf, just go!

Room Tip: You share a room with Chicas so just be prepared
Reviewed 20 April 2016 via mobile

This review is long overdue. I stayed at Chicabrava in September during central America's independence day. I was the only chicabrava staying there for the week. I was kindly informed that there were some last minute cancellations and I would be the only guest for the week. I thought the notice   was a nice gesture on their part but it didn't deter me from heading there. From the point of pick up at managua to drop off every little detail was taken care of.

The staff- good vibes all around. The driver who picked me up and dropped me off in the airport was super friendly. Even though the ride was a bit long it flew by chatting with him. He helped me get a taxi at a good price to my next stop leon. I  was received with a huge welcome by Anna and Sarah. Even though I was the only guest at the camp, I never felt alone. Had great company with Lindsey who taught the surf theory clearly and came along for the ride during my surfing. She was super fun and was nice to get feedback from a different perspective.

Surf Instruction- the perks of being the only guest was the one on one instruction by none other than the great Elsi! She was great professionally and personally. I had done several surf classes at different places and can truly  say she is one of the best at teaching and providing helpful and useful  feedback. She was also encouraging and kept me going even when I was just too tired to continue on. As a person, she has character with a bit of sweetness. Her friendly nature made the experience very enjoyable and 10 x better. After the week I had significant improved.

The surf- what's nice about sjds is the different beaches that are available. Went to 3 different beaches which were special in their own way. Since chicabrava provides everything you wNt have to worry about how to get to the different beaches which are not accessible by foot.

The vision - Chicabrava keeps true to their word.  The staff clearly represents this vision and also sets the example. Love that they do community outreach and teach other little girls to be strong and independent through surfing/other activites at camp bella.

Nightlife- it was obvi awesome since the locals flooded the town for their independence day (this can be good and bad depending on what you like hah) Everything is walking distance and several good options to choose from. You have the option for chill out bars to more dancing oriented venues. Also a bar right across chicabrava which is super convenient.

Food - a good number of options to choose from. Really loved the food everywhere.

General- i liked the general itinerary Chicabrava set up. It provided some structure without being inflexible. Was Able To Do Several Things On My Own Time AND Switch Things Up A bit.

As a solo traveler- 110% recommend. I have done my farir share of solo traveling and am constantly considering  the level of safety. Even though I knew the language and a bit of the culture before it is still really easy to venture out and be adventorous. Since sjds isn't huge you get to really know the area by just walking alone. The locals are super friendly and made lots of friends there. There are def a couple of other activities to do other than surfing.

Hope this helps!

Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 April 2016

I had the time of my life. I started the trip unsure of myself and my abilities and I left with a passion for surfing and a new family. I didn't want to leave and I can't wait to go back. If you love to travel and feel at home at this same time this is the place to be. The staff will 100% take care of you and have your back in and out of the water.

Reviewed 7 April 2016

What a wonderful and empowering experience spending a week with the lovely women of ChicaBrava. I have raved to all that have crossed my path that if they want to learn how to surf they need to spend a week with CB. The accommodations where very clean, safe and well decorated. The instructors and employees were all professional, friendly and enjoyable to be around (at all times!). Breakfast was included and all transportation to the nearby beaches based on the tides. Make sure to bring a good attitude and willingness to learn. Miss you girls!!!! xoxo

Room Tip: If you stay at the dorms near SJDS I would recommend bringing earplugs, there are a few discos near by that can be quite loud.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends