Lansdowne Strand
US$144
US$144
Priceline
The White Horse Inn(Compton Bassett)
Dove Cottage(Compton Bassett)
Pitchup.com
The Old Joinery(Cherhill)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrecent refurbishmentcoaching innfantastic mealold buildinglovely atmospherelarge roomfish and chipsstayed one nightlansdownecharacterarkellsfireswiltshire
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

The hotel it self is beautiful and staff seem friendly enough. Although, it says breakfast is included. It’s not. An interpretation of continental is included. Whereas English Breakfast etc is available at an extra cost. I didn’t eat much as I’m GF, so wasn’t much choice left. Our room was basic/modern. Some wallpaper peeling away, no room to move in shower due to lay out, baring in mind I’m a size 6 and short, I don’t need much room, but still struggled. Then my mother got woken up early the next morning because the windows were leaking and soaked the windowsill/curtains which all touched her bed.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
LansdowneStrand, General Manager at Lansdowne Strand, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Hello Emma M,

Thank you for your review, I'm pleased to hear you found the team all friendly.

The complimentary breakfast includes as many helpings as you wish of all the items provided to you on the breakfast tables (toast, jam, marmite, marmalade, cereals, croissants, pain au chocolat, fruits, yogurts, compotes, tea, coffee, juices) so we hope that this will not leave any residents hungry. Gluten free bread is always available and we are looking to extend our gluten free options further.

I'm sorry that you struggled with the shower. Our building is very old and quirky but the shower screen does swing out to allow for better access.

Regarding the windows, please accept my sincere apologies that this awful weather made it's way through to your room. As you can imagine we were eager to get this addressed but I am most sorry that this happened during your stay.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Having spotted this beautifully restored coaching inn we booked to return for a weekend. The bar area seems to be a hit with the locals and the restaurant is top class & probably worth the extra investment. Staff are friendly and generally affable. The bedroom was big, with a decent small sofa & bathroom. I do get grumpy however when there are only 2 teabags of any one flavour left at any one time. The room was ‘quaint’ & aged, old sash windows with dismantled secondary glazing making it noisy next to the road.
There is a small car park (with huge central puddle), no hooks for coats in the rooms and a con for breakfast. Having paid for a B&B the expectation in England is to include a cooked breakfast. But no, the B is cold only ( not continental as no cheese or ham ) no fruit salad and only 2 choices of cereal. A cooked breakfast would cost £8.50 pp. crazy enough but added to that is the limited gluten free options despite giving sufficient notice. We didn’t buy breakfast!!
Would we go back or recommend it? Certainly the bar & food I would. Calne is interesting. The hotel - probably not.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
LansdowneStrand, General Manager at Lansdowne Strand, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Hi BarbNabb,

Thank you for your review.

I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed most aspects of your visit.

We certainly would never wish for our guests to feel we have 'conned' them and hope that our complimentary breakfast table makes a welcome addition to your stay. It includes three different juices, tea, Illy coffee, three cereals, pain au chocolat, croissants, fruit basket, yogurts, compotes, toast, jam, marmalade & marmite. As you say, cooked options are available and I am confident that should you have ordered one you would have found the quality of ingredients and cooking all to be to the same standard of the restaurant and hopefully you would agree, therefore, comfortably worth the price.

Regarding the puddle please accept my apologies- it is something we are working hard to resolve and, as it seems to bear no relevance to rain fall(!) we are now suspecting it's the spring which fed the former brewery here fighting back to make its ongoing presence known!

We hope to see you again,

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Once again, it is always nice to find a restaurant with the same standard as a previous visit.A friendly welcome and good service is a good start.Our meal was of good quality and most enjoyable. The restaurant is very well decorated and very clean.
Would recommend.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family

Hello john w,

Thank you for making the effort to leave your kind review.

I'm particularly grateful of your comment that it's so enjoyable to find the standard just as high on a subsequent visit as this is one of my own gripes when eating out! Whatever your standard is, whatever bar you set for yourself it ought always be the same on every visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 27 February 2018

Great helpful staff and a very spacious clean, comfortable room. Shower and fluffy towels were extra nice. Continental breakfast was good. Location of hotel is ideal for touring the sites and Bath is a reasonable distance. Loved our stay!

Room Tip: Front facing room was very nice indeed
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
LansdowneStrand, General Manager at Lansdowne Strand, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Hi parmarjosna,

Thank you for review.

It's always great to hear that the team have made your stay enjoyable. We do indeed have an ideal location for visiting some of the best of the area- and a hot shower with super fluffy towels always makes for a good start to a day of sight-seeing!

Hopefully you will visit again to enjoy more of the local area.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

I visited a friend in Calne and they didn’t have space for me to stay with them so I booked a night at the Lansdowne. Coming in from London I wasn’t sure what to expect, but was very pleased with the clean modern rooms, quality of the food (rhubarb compote at breakfast was great) and the service.

It’s a beautiful old building with a lot of history and character, which sets it apart from the big chain hotels. Would recommend.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
lansdownehotelcalne, General Manager at Lansdowne Strand, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

Hello,

It's such a pleasure to read your lovely review.

Your enjoyment of the rhubarb compote will be much appreciated by our kitchen team. It's one of my firm favourites and it is with no shame that I admit it's a wonder there is any left for our guests to enjoy!

The character of the coaching inn is both endearing and unique- and certainly ensures a more memorable visit.

Hopefully your short stay in Wiltshire left you refreshed and ready to return to the Big Smoke!