Shaw Country House Hotel
Beechfield House(Beanacre)
US$154
US$149
Pear Tree Inn(Whitley)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$102
US$105
US$88
US$154
All reviewsresidents menusunday lunchstar hotelpuddingexcellent foodfirst classplenty of parkingwide choicea la carte menubath and showerthree nightswonderful hotelfriendly hoteltwo night stayhome from homesecond to nonea lovely stay
Reviewed 16 April 2018

Went to Shaw Country House Hotel for an evening meeting not as an overnight guest so can only comment in that capacity. However my initial impressions were not great. Get out of the car in the car park and hear people larking about in the kitchen area and shouting to each other in response which could be heard. No notice in the car park where the reception was so asked a one of the staff, his response was to "point" at it and say nothing. The decor is looking tired both outside and in the interior public areas. Asked to use the loo before joining the meeting and lets put it this way, not the most cleanest. Was served a drink at the bar that was warm, although was offered some ice rather than a replacement drink. Staff just seemed uninterested and more engrossed in talking to their colleagues. Sorry its not a great review as other reviewers have given, however other reviewers have also commented similarily in regards to decor. in retrospect I hear the food is excellent from friends who also attended the meeting and dined

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

This is a beautiful looking hotel. Very picture postcard.
Be aware that if approaching the drive entrance from the right, the entrance is on a near blind corner, so busy traffic can be a problem when crossing into it.

The hotel is, or appears to be compact; I had a small room but everything was included and the room was comfortable enough. If you look closely, it is a little ragged at the edges; I appreciate the effort though. Definitely trying to be more than it is, and succeeding too.

The shower was compact but excellent, the room clean and kept clean. Another hotel with a noisy bathroom fan, however...
Again, as with so many hotels, there is a lack of USB charging sockets. Something that in this day and age should be as standard as t&c in the room.

The staff were extremely helpful.... Couldn't do enough..

The meals were outstanding... The best yet in 3 months and many hotels.

A strange thing? One evening there was an event, where event guests had to walk through the dining area (with people eating in it) to get to the event? One of the dining tables was placed right next to the entrance door, with people coming in and out all the time.... This was intrusive. So better planning, please!

All in all, because of the food, the service and overall effort to please the customer, this is the best place I have stayed in for quite some time. Tbh, booking here was a happy accident by my company... But many of my colleagues who have been here recommended the hotel, on the food alone, and they were right! I will be using the hotel again and will be recommending it to everyone...

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2018

Arranged a Sunday Lunch here for 25 persons. Restaurant was set up well and staff were very friendly and efficient. Standard of food was excellent with all attending being very complimentary. Will definitely visit again. Highly recommended.

Stayed: April 2018
Reviewed 19 March 2018

We booked this a while ago, based on the reviews on TripAdvisor.

Shaw Country House is exactly what I was looking for, a nice building, in the country, quiet and the team were great.

We arrived quite late as traffic was awful, but when we got there the lady who seemed to do everything, welcomed us and made us feel welcome. She showed us to our room.

The room was large, the bed so comfortable and was pure heaven, our dog made himself right at home. The room was en-suite and the bathroom had a shower and a fantastic bath. It was clean and fresh. The room was also clean and very nice, could not fault it. The only suggestion I would have is top put a small curtain in the bathroom as although the glass is frosted it feels like people can see you from outside.

Breakfast was very nice, but the only down side was that the vegetarian option was not great, but it was tasty and we enjoyed it.

Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

This hotel wasn't what I was expecting, it's a small place, seemingly well run with a family feel to it.

Arrival was a breeze as the hotel is easy to find and only a short drive from Melksham. The car park has plenty of space and is close to the entrance.

I was met with a pleasant greeting and a checked in quickly. My room was small but perfectly formed for an over night... it was clean and well presented and the bed comfy, with a selection of pillows of different firmness. The bathroom again small, but clean and functional. I slept well as it was so quiet and wonderfully warm.

I had a bar meal in the evening. Don't let the tired menus put you off, I had a steak sandwich with salad and chips and it was fab! Chef cooked the steak perfectly. The beer selection is limited to bottles.

Breakfast was great, I ordered off menu and got a plate of scrambled eggs and toast, just what I wanted. I'll be back here if I do more work in the area as it's great value for money.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business