Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Great eve your day out

This was our first visit to the railway and it was amazing. We booked a Red Rose dining experience... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
MIKECHRISManchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
via mobile
Spanish night

My wife and I spent our wedding anniversary on the ELR Spanish night the journey and the meal made... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
bda061
Bolton, United Kingdom

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Bury
from US$55.71
More Info
1,990 results
All reviews flying scotsman steam engine east lancashire railway santa express trackside bar bury station footplate experience brass band return journey transport museum thomas the tank engine diesel train diesel gala santa train dining experience course meal bolton street
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We visited here on one of their Flying Scotsman days. It was really busy but very well organised and the staff were really friendly and informative. I would highly recommend anyone going here who likes heritage railways.

Reviewed 16 September 2021

We spent the day at the East Lancs Heritage Railway, very friendly and very helpful staff, and make you feel very welcome. Highly Recommended.

Reviewed 14 September 2021

After 2 years of waiting to add this line to my list of those visited, I finally visited along with my parents last Friday.

We began at Rawtenstall station, lots of interesting vintage railway posters & other great items to see there, plus I bought several postcards & other souvenirs at the nearby Cafe/Shop on the platform.

Then our engine for the day "City Of Wells" arrived with the first train of the day, I took plenty of photos & we boarded the train.

Travelled to Bury Bolton Street as we wanted to visit the nearby Bury Transport Museum , which we did as soon as we arrived at that station & the museum was incredible (but I'll review that shortly)

We then went to the Trackside Pub on the station platform, very nice place (another review coming soon for that too)

Then we went to the Buffet before we got the last train back to Rawtenstall, all the staff/volunteers we met that day were very helpful & friendly.

The only thing I did'nt like & was disapponted, is that the main souvenir shop at Bury was closed, I understand that at the end of the day it is most likely an unfortunate shortage of volunteers/staff & yes I bought a few souvenirs at Rawtenstall.

But that's not the point as I was so looking forward to coming
in, browsing, maybe finding other items& probably spending more money at your Bury shop, I'm sure other railway fans like me would have agreed too, I mean I could see the shop from the front of the station building near the main road, but it was closed, real shame, I think you should consider getting an online shop sorted out in the near future such as other lines like the Severn Valley, Bluebell, West Somerset, etc have done so well.

Anyway, aside from that, I enjoyed my first time visit to your line, my parents liked it also.

Thank you very much.

Reviewed 11 September 2021 via mobile

The ELR ticks all the boxes… you get a fantastic trip back in time on locomotives and coaching stock that is lovingly kept by both paid and volunteer staff who work hard to maintain that all important friendly personal touch. You get it all for such a reasonable price - but importantly a price that makes supporters come back month after month… a price that makes you feel like you are supporting a charity working hard to persevere the railway for future generations - there’s a balance between this and profit and the ELR have it absolutely bang on. Sadly other heritage railways have lost this touch and are becoming more and more like mismanaged cooperate ventures (particularly the NYMR whom I use to pledge all my support for before they effectively stabbed long term supporters in the back with the extortionate pricing).

Fantastic day out with people love the railway… just a shame the lines not that little bit longer!

Date of experience: August 2021
Reviewed 10 September 2021

Really nice railway with helpful people and a great atmosphere. The station master Chandra at Ramsbottom station, is really helpful with her cheery demeanor and happy smile. Even in the rain this lady created a happy atmosphere with her positive attitude.