Highland Court Lodge
The Carlyon Bay(St Austell)
US$177
Savings alert! 32% below average rates

The price you found is 32% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$260/night.

The Waterwheel Inn(St Austell)
US$149
US$95
PremierInn.com
Topos Bed & Breakfast(St Austell)(Great Value!)
US$77
Travelocity
Anchorage House(St Austell)
Cooperage(St Austell)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 March 2011

I enjoyed a pleasant stay at Highland Court earlier this month as a birthday gift and I was not disappointed. We arrived late into the evening after a long trip from Oxfordshire and were offered a warm welcome on arrival followed by a brief and informative introduction to the hotel and services available, although I chose not to purchase any of the spa treatments. However, what impressed me was the huge bouquet of flowers in a vase on the coffee table as we walked into the room. I had no idea but my partner had contacted the hotel in advance of our stay and asked them to arrange the flowers in our room ready for our arrival. The were beautiful and lasted well over a week so clearly thought had gone into the quality of the flowers.

The room we had was more than sufficient, very clean and well appointed. The bathroom was even better and the spa bath was fantastic! Also having a double sink and plenty of fluffy towels added to the luxury! There was plenty of space in both the bathroom and bedroom for both of us. The patio doors opened onto the garden which had a good stock of flowering plants and bushes so I imagine these will look very pretty over the summer months. The breakfasts were lovely and I had a full Cornish on the first morning which was cooked very well with locally sourced ingredients. The bacon is very tasty! Overall, I cannot find anything to complain about and my experience was nothing like those of previous reviewers. The couple who own the hotel were very pleasant and helpful towards their guests and we never felt hurried or pushed during any part of our stay. We were always greated and attended to very well. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet break near the Cornish coastline and who also likes a spot of luxury in their rooms!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lucy123488
Reviewed 14 November 2010

My experience of this b & b seems to embrace opinions & attitudes of other reviewers from both camps. On arrival our first impressions weren't great - we had booked 2 de luxe rooms - my daughter and her husband were in the main house and their room looked nicely decorated with reasonable amenities - ours was in a very unprepossessing looking outside building - although once inside the room was again nicely decorated and comfortable. The web site we thought deceiving since it gave the impression that we were closer to the sea with the picture displayed. On the + side - the breakfasts were wonderful - but what a pity we never got to meet the cook. Victoria never once made any effort to come out of the kitchen to welcome us - strange for someone whose business relies on good PR I would have thought. Nigel however was very helpful - our toiletries had not been replenished on one occasion which he was quick to rectify and he also helped us work out the workings of our shower quite late in the evening. We had assumed we would be eating in the b&b but this was not possible on the first evening and we certainly would not have been prepared to pay the price being asked in any event. £49 for a meal not to include coffee is way over the top for this type of establishment. Overall on balance I'm afraid I wouldn't be quick to recommend Highland Lodge. Victoria has obviously worked very hard at the decor which was delightful and her kind gesture of chocolatesetc on our last night, knowing it had been our wedding anniversaries, was appreciated but her initial telephone manner when booking wasn't encouraging, her inability to welcome us personally was unacceptable and generally her great breakfasts didn't alone make up for the high cost of staying there taking into account the above observations.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank acrise
AnnaWright, Owner at Highland Court Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2010

These guests have criticised one of the rooms they booked. The room in question is obviously rated 5 star, like all of our accommodation, by the AA and Visit Britain.The building is only 2 years old, and naturally much more contemporary than the main lodge. Quite why its appearance has been criticised in this way is unclear. Victoria, the owner and cook, had very recently lost a very close and dear relative. This was explained to the guests , together with the fact that she did not feel up to coming out and socialising the our guests. However, the co-owner was always on hand to ,meet and greet, help and generally assist with any questions or problems. The situation has obviously cut no ice with the guests who have penalised Victoria for losing a member of her family. Why they "assumed" they would be eating in the accommodation is also unclear.We never put guests under any pressure to dine with us. The cost of £49.00 per person, may appear to be at the top end of the scale, but it is a five course a la carte dinner and is superb. To criticise a meal/cost before sampling it, is at the very least, unfair. Victoria does all the cooking and did not feel up to cooking dinner for 4 people at this time. The guests have acknowledged Victoria's kind gesture of chocolates etc. in the bedroom, knowing that it was their wedding anniversaries, was over and above what you would expect in any 5 star hotel. However, these people have still taken it upon themselves to criticise certain aspects of the accommodation. The most amazing aspect of this review, however, is that they have criticised the value for money of their stay when they were on a "three nights for the price of two" deal! They received one night free! Bearing in mind the above, would you leave the premises, saying that everything was delightful, arrive home, and post a review that does not recommend this accommodation? Once again, we have a situation of people hiding behind the internet to criticise accommodation that they stated was great upon leaving the premises! We could understand if the grievances were justified, but to criticise an evening meal that they did not have, a proprietor who had just lost a dear one, the cost of the accommodation that has been reduced by one third, and an en-suite that is 5 star rated and only two years old, is priceless. 99% of our guests , over an 8 year period, have a fantastic time with us but unfortunately, after writing in our guest book, go home, and forget all about posting anything on the internet. The other 1%, who will always find something, however small, to complain about, are the ones who gohome and go to town on the computer.

Reviewed 5 November 2010

A very disappointing experience. The 'hotel' advertised itself as a five star B&B, when what was really offered was small rooms with nowhere to store our clothes. Flowers were left in the room to die and were not removed. Complementary coffee was of a very low quality and quantity. There was also nowhere to sit in or out of the rooms.

The proprietor was short to the point of rudeness on all occasions, including being told off for being two minutes early for breakfast, which was not offered earlier than 9am. We were on holiday hoping to get full days in and to not offer breakfast before nine is extremely inconvenient.

We booked for the food but when we were arrived we were told food was not available.

The B&B was twice as expensive as alternatives while offering a tiny fraction of the service available elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank dischuffed
AnnaWright, Public Relations Manager at Highland Court Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2010

All our rooms have at least one double wardrobe with 12 coat hangers in each. Your room had a double waldrobe with 24 hangers. Your booking was for 3 nights. We are 5 star guest accommodation with both the AA and Visit Britain. We have also received a Gold award for the last 3 years with Visit Britain. Since opening 7 years ago we have received 14 awards for our food, hospitality and cleanliness. As the owner of this establishment I do not feel my products are of poor or low quality. I always buy local products which are organic or of good quality. When you made your booking you wanted the cheapest option. I do not consider a room which is 14ft square with a 9ft square ensuite and a 15ft square patio to be small. Nor do I feel Kenco fair trade sachets, decaffinated Kenco coffee, Twinnings Breakfast tea, Twinnings Earl Grey, Twinnings Assam, Jacksons Green Tea and Tea pigs super fruits tea, Cadburys chocolate, brown sugar, white sugar, sweetners, Cornish shortbread and Cornish Just Water to be of low quality and as for quality we give you 6 of each of these coffees every day. At any time you can come to reception and collect more. Ground coffee is also on tap in the Dining room all day. You also mentioned there was nowhere to sit; you had chairs in your room, garden furniture on your patio and a very large guest lounge to relax in. The reason why you were unable to have food was because I had just lost my Grandfather. It appears you found this unaccpetable but unfortunatley to me it was a sad loss. You said our accommodation was twice as expensive as the alternatives, available. Why did you select us if we were so expensive? The only alternative I can think of for that price would be a budget hotel at £30.00 per night with no breakfast. Also 99% of people who are on holiday love having breakfast at 9:00am.They say it is a very sociable time, because they are on holiday! If you had wanted an earlier breakfast all you needed to do was ask. Unfortunately we are not mind readers.

Reviewed 3 June 2010

This lodge was the perfect base to explore the Eden Project, Lost Gardens of Heligan and Lanhydrock. It's also very near to Fowey, Megavissey & Charleston. The owners were so friendly, I really can't believe the other comments made on this site. We had no problems with them at all! Wireless worked & the spa bath was a hoot! (especially as my mum didn't know how they worked & didn't fill it enough!).
As it is their own home too, they made us feel very welcome. The breakfasts included all choices from fruit, cereals, yoghurts to cooked bacon, eggs, porridge - Because I am wheat intolerant, they'd got special bread & yoghurts in to accomodate that.

Although it's a little bit further away from Fowey than we'd anticipate, the peace and quiet of the surroundings was excellent. You have your own private patio which was very welcome after a long hot day at the Eden Project!

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 12 May 2010

We didn't even make it to this place. I booked through Late Rooms, since there was no online booking and I wanted to book - and have my booking confirmed - at a time when it was inappropriate to phone a small guesthouse.
A gentleman called the next morning and explained that I had booked with no breakfast. I said that I hadn't realised that, and he quizzed me as to why I had booked with Late Rooms despite the booking being 2 months in advance so I explained. I requested that they add breakfast and just let me know how much extra that would be. At this point he asked me to hold and then a woman came on the line and asked how she could help. I explained that I was already being helped, but she said abruptly and quite rudely "Well obviously I'm taking over now" and began to rant about Late Rooms and their arrangement with them, etc. I replied that I'd just like to add breakfast, whatever the cost, and that there was no problem as far as I was concerned, as long as she could confirm that the room was booked. At this point she became quite astonishingly rude and announced very aggressively that she was cancelling the booking!
I travel a lot, I stay in hotels constantly and I have NEVER come across this kind of behaviour before.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple