“Great day out.”

The Lost Gardens of Heligan
Ranked #7 of 56 things to do in St Austell
Reviewed 29 June 2018

We really enjoyed our time wandering around the gardens. Wear comfortable walking shoes, as there were parts that were a little bumpy. Great insight into how the more affluent folk lived. Own farm, own livestock, etc. miles of land to wander in.
Great attention to detail in the outbuildings and wonderful photo opportunities. I envied them their glasshouses and cold frames and potting sheds. (I now have clay flower pot envy too !) We had the added bonus of watching house martins feeding their babies in the potting sheds - showing no fear at all of us humans gawking up at them . Loved the farm area too. The jungle area was expertly managed, apart from the queue for the rope bridge. Quite hilly in places but ok if you took your time and you could choose an easy route to avoid the steps, etc. I think the price is good value - it's not a fantastic pretty pretty show garden as such - but rather an opportunity to visualise how things were, not so very long ago, and to appreciate all the hard work put into the restoration. I'm glad I visited.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,352)
All reviews
in 61 reviews
"every corner"
in 53 reviews

Reviewed 29 June 2018

Great day out and dog friendly you will get plenty of exercise but well worth the effort. The history is fascinating and worth digging deeper to unearth more.

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

My wife and I went in with tempered expectations due to reviews on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasant few hours but I can understand why some wouldn t enjoy it.

Personally I didn't find any of it steep AT ALL. But then, we're both young, we hike regularly and there were a lot of elderly about, so it's perspective I guess.

It's mostly pleasant woodland, with a fun jungle section and rope bridge. It does get very busy and people can really get in the way and be rather rude about it, especially in the jungle section, but no more so than other attractions.

The English garden and wildlife area is ok. Nothing more. Very well tended and pretty in places, but large sections clearly needed watering or weeding and I'm not even a gardener! Most of it is done better for a lower price elsewhere.

There was also a band preparing for a theatre production next month, they made quite a racket which a few people didn't like.

That was my biggest issue really. The woodlands and gardens were nice, but no better than places you could see for free. You're really paying for the jungle, and a nice walk.

We enjoyed it, but be aware of what you're paying for, it's a little expensive. Worth it if you're still interested.

1  Thank Tjam84
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We visited the gardens today and were welcomed with smiles. It was nice to have a hassle free check in for the group. The gardens are well worth a visit and the restaurant and cafe are clean well stocked fresh food and produce available.
Service is with a smile. You can spend from 5 to 10 pounds on lunch with some great healthy options.
Tables are continually cleaned.it was a pleasure to have lunch here.
Also one of the few places left that look after our coach drivers.
A BIG THUMBS UP ALL ROUND

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We visited here through a coach holiday & can duly say what a fabulous place to see. All areas are wonderfully maintained & around every bend there is something very scenic to see. Covers a vast area & maps aren't the best, you can easily miss the designated route you want to take, but that's me & never been a good map reader. It does warn you though on routes if it is steep as can be quite tough if not so sure-footed. Plenty to do & see here for a full day out with a lovely craft & garden centre.

Heligan G, Public Relations Manager at The Lost Gardens of Heligan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for the lovely review and for the stunning images. Please do feel free to share any others with us over on Facebook or Instagram.

We’re sorry to see that our map wasn’t the best and have passed this comment over to our design team for review.

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your visit and we do hope that you’ll return in the future.