The Top House(The Lizard)
US$124
YHA Lizard Point(The Lizard)
TripAdvisor
  • Free Internet
TripAdvisor
All reviewspentreath roomperfect hostscream teahomemade breadon arrivalattention to detaillovely toiletriesmoment you arrivefriendly receptionkynance covehome madewarm welcomelizard villagetwo nightsyogurtcompotehaddock
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Just returned from another excellent stay at the Atlantic House. Janet and Michael were the perfect hosts and combined with our well appointed room, comfy bed and one of the best views in Cornwall together with their excellent scrummy breakfasts and the company of their two cats made our stay perfect. We so enjoyed staying in their lovely house.
Meeting fellow guests, some from other countries, made for interesting conversations at breakfast which all added to the enjoyment of our holiday.
Hope to see you again

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Michael E, Owner at Atlantic House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear donandmargaretR
What a lovely review and thank you so much.
We were so pleased to see you again and would like to thank you for your jollity at the breakfast table with our many guests!
So glad you enjoyed your stay and the room and all that the Lizard has to offer.
We can’t wait for your return visit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We recently spent four nights with Michael and Janet.
We received a cream tea on arrival which was very nice.
The food continued to be great at breakfast with lots of choices, all well cooked and presented.
The room and bed were of a very high standard. With a large selection of toiletries available.
Michael and Janet were very Pleasent and welcoming.
I would recommend the Atlantic House to anyone wishing to stay on the Lizard.

Room Tip: if you require a view over the lizard ask on booking
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tomjackie2018
Michael E, Owner at Atlantic House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear tomjackie2018
Thank you for the wonderful title.
We had a great time hosting you and enjoyed every minute of your stay.
The positive comments and appreciation of your visit mean a lot to us and we hope that we might see you again.
With very good wishes

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have just spent four nights with Michael & Janet. In there Caerthillian room.We had a very nice cream tea on arrival the food continued to be great at breakfast lots of choice well cooked & presented. Micheal & Janet we’re very pleasant & welcoming during are stay and looked after us very well. We would recommend Atlantic house to any one wanting to stay on the Lizard.

Dear Lawsonchopping
Thank you so much for writing us a lovely review.
As always it is genuinely appreciated and we are so glad that you enjoyed the other guests’ company. We miss you all!
We do hope to see you again for another enjoyable visit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very good rooms with comfortable beds and rooms. The food was excellent and well prepared. There is no common room where you could relax with friends, you have a room and that is all. My biggest concern is that Michael seems welcoming on the surface but is in fact rather rude and far from friendly. Read his responses to any negatives and you will hear his real attitude. One reviewed titled Back At School captured well the attitude of the owner. The couple who run the Atlantic House live there but strictly require arrival only between 4 - 6, I arrived a half hour early to possibly drop off luggage and was told to take a walk to the village and return later. The email agreeing to the reservation is a three page long legal agreement full of 'do's and don't'. Upon departure my wife was bringing the luggage down the stairs, unassisted of course, until she bumped her bag down on one step. Michael, who was watching said, "let me take that I don't want you damaging my carpet!" He did the same with our friend as he exited the door, Michael said, "let me lift that case, I don't want you damaging the door threshold." The worst issue was that I told Michael that I would like to return five minutes after taking my friends to the hiking trail so I could briefly use the WiFi connection. Upon leaving Michael said good bye and I responded that I would be back in 5 - 10 minutes. His response floored me. He very rudely said, "well it would be better to ask me rather than tell me", and with that stomped off. I returned 10 minutes later and rang the bell. I could hear and see Michael and Janet moving around and talking. After ringing the bell several times Janet, who had not said more than a dozen words during our two day stay, came out and told me I was not welcome and should leave.

I have traveled the world and have stayed in B and B's everywhere. In general people who run B and B's are friendly and welcoming. I have had some bad rooms, bad beds and bad food but very rarely such a bad host.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Phil K
Janet E, Owner at Atlantic House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Readers
This review is written by a member of a party of four but not the person who booked us.
It appears therefore to be a somewhat unbalanced view and not an accurate reflection of the visit.
- all responses are written by Janet and are factual and grateful.
- we do have a communal area in our lovely dining room with comfy chairs and a wonderful view. Every bedroom has a spacious lounge area with amazing views of the sea and relaxing seating. The dining room lounge area was well used by this party where they spilt coffee in excess over the carpet.
- arrival times are between 4 and 6pm but guests are asked to let us know if they are delayed or have problems and we are accommodating in this respect. This guest arrived at 1.30pm then the whole party checked in at 9.30pm without notification.
- the confirmation email is informative and helpful and does not list 'dos and donts'
- we do ask guests not to bump their heavy luggage down our stairs and Michael did offer to help two guests with their luggage despite his replacement knee surgery. Both guests ignored this request and continued to cause damage.
- the party checked out and left the premises and as demanded this guest returned to avail himself of our facilities. I politely asked him to leave mentioning that this was not going to be possible. Many upsetting profanities ensued and then the car horn sounded for a long time as he drove away tyres spinning.
- damages were extensive during this visit. Walking boots were not removed as asked so the carpets were black with oil and dirt. The bespoke toast rack was broken on the breakfast table. The party in Pentreath room decided to do a large quantity of washing and hang it on wooden hangers in the solid oak wardrobe to dry and all over the bedroom. This left water stains. They also left soaking wet towels on the oak vanity unit again leaving water stains. All bedroom carpets were stained. The messes on the breakfast table were unbelievable
- behaviour was dismissive and disrespectful. We were summoned at breakfast with finger clicking and demands which we tried to carry out but there were no basic polite manners present.
The abuse of our hospitality was upsetting but we still enjoy sharing our home with our lovely guests and hope that potential guests will see through the inaccuracies of this review.

Reviewed 8 June 2018

We stayed for 5 nights, one of the best B&Bs we have ever stayed in. Our room, the Pentreath Room, is spacious, really comfortable and well equipped with a panoramic view across to the sea and with seats in the bay window. Every conceivable comfort and the largest, best equipped ensuite bathroom of any B&B we have seen. Great attention to detail and a huge selection of room teas/coffees with fresh milk in a fridge on the landing. Michael and Janet are very helpful and friendly. Superb freshly cooked breakfasts with full support of cereals, fruits, home baked bread etc. Really excellent in all respects, thank you - Peter and Marjorie

2  Thank Marjorie_and_Peter
Michael E, Owner at Atlantic House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

Dear Peter and Marjorie
Thank you so much for writing us this wonderful review.
We deeply appreciate your comments and observations about our B&B and do hope this will encourage other guests to come and stay with us!
We’re so glad you had a lovely holiday here in the Lizard and look forward to your return.
Janet, Michael & Sophie