“Worth the drive”

Price range: US$12 - US$73
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: View
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Quarterdeck Restaurant is located at The Nare Hotel on Cornwall's Roseland Peninsula. With spectacular sea views over Gerrans Bay, it is the perfect place to meet family and friends for a relaxed lunch or stylish evening meal. The Quarterdeck has a classical yachting décor, sheltered terrace and a reputation for fabulous food made with the finest local ingredients. We have always been a big supporter of West Country farmers and specialise in locally reared beef and the freshest of seafood caught from waters almost on the doorstep. The Nare's wine cellar is extensive with wines from all round the world selected and laid down by Toby Ashworth, proprietor.
Reviewed 24 August 2017

Took the King Harry Ferry across to have dinner here, literally making the reservation en route as we just wanted to see the location and perhaps have a drink if they were busy, but then decided we night as well have dinner here. The drive is a bit hair raising with the narrow lanes (well this is Cornwall) but once you arrive it is a truly stunning location. What a shame we couldn't enjoy a drink on the terrace but it was too windy.
A complimentary cup of gazpacho was served but we found it too sweet! The starter of red mullet was tender and tasty followed by a delicious risotto with plentiful spring greens and topped with asparagus. My husband had sea bass which again was fresh and beautifully presented.
The atmosphere is one of calm sophistication and professional staff. The candles are a nice addition, and the sea views are a beautiful bonus!

1  Thank ydrewnicki

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

We booked The Quarterdeck for a upmarket and tasty lunch as a couple.

The view from our outside table was lovely and the service very prompt. I asked for the soup without crotons and stated that this was because I have coeliac disease and require it to be gluten free. I was told that this would be no problem. When it arrived, it had crotons in it. I received no apology, the waitress then said she'd "take it back to the kitchen and ask them to take them out". When I tried to explain that this wasn't possible as it had already been contaminated and I would need a fresh bowl, she turned her back on me, didn't listen and walked off whilst I was still talking to her. For a 4* hotel I found this extremely rude and unprofessional.

The food was very tasty and my husband particularly enjoyed the 'Thunder and Lightning cheesecake'. The drinks were fine other than one drink never arriving but still being on our bill.

The atmosphere was disappointing due to the amount of dogs! We didn't realise dogs were allowed on the terrace and practically every table had one or more dogs on them. They were wandering around, sitting very close to our table and when one barked the others joined in! If we'd known there would have been so many we might have sacrificed such a beautiful view of the beach and sat inside instead.

1  Thank KNBoxall190211
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

We ate at the restaurant as guests of a hotel guest and have to say, it is a lovely restaurant with great food. A long and challenging drive to get there but well worth it. Scallops and the sea bass were beautifully prepared. Very attentive wait staff.

2  Thank Euroaggie
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

I didn't think I would return to the hotel in time for dinner, and had declined to make a reservation when offered at breakfast that morning. Nonetheless I did arrive earlier than expected, and asked if they could accommodate me. They scrambled and found me a terrific table in the center of the upper part of the restaurant, and I proceeded to have the most wonderful meal. Started with fresh scallops and bacon which were near perfection, then followed with the best halibut I have ever eaten...without a doubt. Perfectly cooked with fennel, potatoes and clams, they thankfully served it with a spoon as the liquor from the dish was so aromatic and too good to waste. Followed by a decadent chocolate mousse like dessert with frangelico ice cream. Simply couldn't have been better and the service was impeccable in spite of the large group of forty or so who was monopolizing the restaurant and the staff. Bravo.

2  Thank PhiladelphiaPhillip
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Visited yesterday having walked from Portloe. Very very wet but we were welcomed by a very charming matre de. Sorry missed your name but a tall fair haired gentleman. Could not do enough for us. We had a most enjoyable lunch. Slightly slow service and did find it hard to catch the eye of some of the younger waiting staff but I am being picky as we were so welcomed.
Would recommend this place and hope to return.

1  Thank mrfern3