“True Thai Restaurant”

Ranked #14 of 134 Restaurants in Camden
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 19 May 2017

We went there for dinner and were greeted by a very polite Thai lady who showed us to our table. We were glad that we booked as the place was fairly full with several large tables. We ordered our food from a well presented menu and in due course received out food which was very delicious and authentic Thai.

Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

Only booked the morning of Mothers Day but got a table for 7. Everyone is so friendly at this restaurant, wishing my friend and I happy mothers day.
Menu offers lots of choice. Would recommend chicken wings and spring rolls for entree and Penang lamb curry, musss and beef stir fry. Fried rice was also light and fluffy.

Reviewed 11 February 2017 via mobile

With Thai being standard fare across the land this one has a few extra variations and new dishes that sure were good.
For entries; I had a soup called Potak. Not something I've seen offered before. Much like Tom Yum in that it was spicy n sour. It had some prawns, squid, a mussel in its shell with great stock, galangal flavouring and red colour from chilli. Really good. Others had lovely big satays and winter prawns (not so interesting but ok) all under $10. My other friend had deep fried bamboo leaf wrapped chicken parcels. That was pricey ($16) but big. In the past he said the leaves were crisped and edible. Not this time but a) we don't know if u r supposed to eat the leaves and b) when did u last have such an offering in a suburban Thai place? It reminded me of some really nice betel leaf wrapped larb-y, tangy morsels at the old Rambutan restaurant in Darlinghurst many years back.
Mains included Penang lamb that was so good you could smell it coming, really good chilli basil bamboo and chicken, yellow curry chicken (which was a bit standard - suffered from the pre-boiled meat problem common to most Thai restaurants) and a very good fried fish with chilli and veg. The fish was fried or grilled, it was plentiful and super tasty. This was also a stand out.
Bearing all this in mind, we haven't been back yet to try their even more interesting house specials but I'm sure you know we will. So it was great stuff.
Lovely waitress, very quirky decor, (get rid of the plastic table cloth covers and glasses at this price point) in a heritage building in a heritage town. Quick and fairly efficient too. Friendly.
A good meal with two courses nearly too much to eat and BYO. We were all four of us guys fed very well for $35 a head. Couldn't have been happier.
Strongly recommended. So good to taste something new or unusual at a Thai joint and also know there will be more to try next time.
Attached photos are the Potak soup, the fish and lamb dishes.

Reviewed 27 January 2017

We have been going to the Fan Thai for 20 years, always great food and always made to feel welcome, the waitress always gives my wife a hug, lovely Thai family. Cannot understand the few bad reviews recently, seems to me some people just go out of their way to be nasty and horrible, so what if the water glasses are plastic, the wine ones are glass, and if "This is Thai" across the road has better cuisine, why is it always empty and Fan Thai is always full, and tatty décor, that's a bit snobby, the old place looks fine to me. We have been to many Thai restaurants from Camden to Darlinghurst, and Fan Thai is one of the best. Go to this restaurant, and make it your local, take no notice of the nasty and horrible reviews, they are just food trolls, they say things like that because they like being nasty!!

Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

Booked a table here on New Year's Eve. The place is really clean and the setting is nice. The food was outstanding. Both mine and my partners meals were delicious and fresh and served in a timely manner.
The price was great considering the excellent quality of the food and we will definitely be going back here again!

1  Thank BlakeKelly