“Sadly, soggy, unremarkable, over-priced pizza ”
Review of The Wood Oven

The Wood Oven
Ranked #7 of 19 Quick Bites in Nelson Bay
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 12 December 2020 via mobile

Unfortunately, our lunch today was a ‘walk-in’ enticed by the view & being upstairs away from the hordes. We were early (1130) so put that down to the absence of guests... should have read the reviews!

The wait-team are great but the product abysmal. There is no excuse for soggy pizza when you are the only clients and when listed as a Quattro, each cheese should shine. Nothing about our pizza shone but you know, we paid 26 bucks for it so hoping the half we took away will taste better tomorrow after a night in the fridge... conversely, our Mediterranean salad was generously sized and tasty although arguable if a marina view justifies a $17:50 price tag.

Really disappointing as this looks like a family operation & based on service, they deserve better. Suggest they actually taste what is coming out of the kitchen pizza-wise and both texture & taste need an awful lot of work to justify the price.

Date of visit: December 2020
Write a reviewReviews (318)

Reviewed 11 December 2020

I wish I had read the reviews before walking in. It had nice seating over the harbour so I thought what is there to lose? Apparently dignity - we sat at a table then were aggressively told by the waitress that because it was reserved and our toddler had touched the table briefly she'd have to sanitise the whole table (there was no reserved sign anywhere). She was sarcastic and exceptionally rude to my husband (who was holding a small toddler!). We didn't want to inconvenience them further so walked away to take our custom elsewhere. At the door, the owner called my husband back saying "What did you say to my wife?!" and squared up to him and shoved him. They're lucky we didn't call the police. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. A simple "this table is reserved, can you sit inside please" would have saved us all an awful confrontation which put us off eating on the marina altogether. Went to West Diggers club and had the most delicious pizza we've had in a long time!

Date of visit: December 2020
1  Thank J8633CGhelenf
Reviewed 17 November 2020 via mobile

Upon arrival, I was greeted at the door by an emotionless woman who asked “you right?”. This should have been the first red flag however I gave them the benefit of the doubt (maybe she was having a bad day). I went to the counter and ordered a pizza - the same woman served me - still no smile, no thank-you, no warmth. When the pizza eventually arrived it was covered in far too much cheese, tasted bland, was smaller than expected and wasn’t worth the money. I definitely won’t be back.

Date of visit: November 2020
2  Thank Mike_Stooch
Reviewed 17 November 2020 via mobile

It was our first time visiting the restaurant and despite the great location, we won't be back. We made an early booking as we have an 18 month old and the manager was not impressed when we were 5 mins early as her staff had not arrived yet. We were seated outside with menus and waited 20 mins to have our order taken only to be told we needed to order at the counter. After waiting another 20 mins, the garlic and cheese pizza bread entree arrived - it was quite good and then my husband's $30 prawn pizza came out next and the prawns on each slice were halved rather than full prawns. Our toddler and I had pasta and my husband had finished his pizza before ours came. My boscaiola was so oily I could only eat the top half of the bowl. Our toddler wouldn't eat the $14 kids menu spaghetti with meatballs which is usually her favourite dish although she was getting irritable from waiting so long in one spot. Service not particularly friendly but not awful either. We gave some polite feedback but received no apology or offer to discount the bill. Overall just disappointing.

Date of visit: November 2020
1  Thank Lisa8w
Reviewed 21 October 2020 via mobile

We came across this place while enjoying a walk around the marina. We had possibly the nicest seafood pizza we’ve ever had. We certainly can’t remember a better one! Fresh ingredients using the usual seafood suspects, finished with delicious salmon strips. Magnificent.

Date of visit: October 2020