Mauch Chunk Museum & Cultural Center
Review Highlights
Learn more than you'd expect

I like to learn the behind-the-scenes details on historical places, and this local museum added a... read more

Reviewed 18 December 2017
Peter A
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Lots to see and read about.

Nice movie clip of history of Mauch Chunk. They have many items to see and read about. You'll... read more

Reviewed 5 October 2018
973merryk
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

All reviews answering our questions great overview coal mining walk around short video historic town exhibits docent information memorabilia railroad history jim industries model collection
Reviewed 26 September 2017

For the coal-crackers tourist path, this is one spot to put on the list. If you want an idea for what Mauch Chunk is all about, I suggest checking this place out.

Date of experience: February 2017
2  Thank Black S
Reviewed 26 August 2017

It was easy to see the passion for preservation and history in the museum staff and exhibits. There is great pride in sharing this history.

Date of experience: August 2017
2  Thank Louise D
Reviewed 26 July 2017

I thought we definitely should visit this museum first thing to get acquainted with the background of the town. It is located in a big old church amongst the houses on the very steep Broadway Street. There is no parking available. If you are a good hiker, you would have to park at the paid lot at the bottom of town and walk up. We drove up the steep road and finally found a spot along the curb where there is very limited parallel parking for all the residents along with some tourists I would imagine. VERY inconvenient. Also, surprising in 2017, that if you are disabled, wheelchair bound, have a walker, or stroller, or trouble walking this museum wouldn't be accessible, along with the other 2 'attractions' in this town which I found very unbelievable. The musty smell hits when you enter and walk down a small entrance. A very kind docent gentleman asked for our $10, $5 each adult and directed us to a very small room with some display cases of local items and a very outdated (1970's?) video playing with info on the town and how it came to be. This room was air conditioned. The rest of the museum was in one main room, was stuffy and warm. You walk around and look on your own. It was not the 'new and interactive' type of museum one finds in our current times. There were lots of plaques and things to really have to read for information, a nice model of the coal mining track that was explained in the video, displays on the time periods of the past, a small Jim Thorpe tribute but nothing earthshattering. Many of the displays were personal collections from various town members. We were directed to go upstairs to check out the 'grand ballroom'. We walked 2 sets of stairs to a very hot empty church room filled with stacked banquet chairs and tables (apparently it can be rented out for events). Nothing to see there, so back down we came. Restrooms are in the hallway. When we arrived there was one other couple there finishing up and then we were alone in the museum. I don't think it is a 'must see'. Although I can appreciate that they tried to preserve the history of the town in museum form, it appears to have been done many decades ago. I honestly can't recommended going through the hassle of parking, paying, and experiencing this museum. I think the info, exhibit displays and a new video should be updated and placed in the visitors center to be viewed for FREE.

3  Thank GRNEYEDgirl3201
Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

It's only $5 and it's chock full of memorabilia. The short video is a great overview of the area and a nice way to start a trip to Jim Thorpe. It smells like your great grandma's attic and I'm not sure it'd be good for someone with asthma. Fortunately there was only one other couple in there while we were there because it's also a small cramped space. I wouldn't want to be in there with a group of 20! Some of the exhibits have seen better days, but we could take our time and learned some interesting things about the town, the people and the surrounding area. I wouldn't go again, but I'd recommend it for first timers who like history.

Reviewed 9 July 2017

Interesting place if you want to know more about the history of Jim Thorpe. There's a lot in there and the movie helped us to understand what we were seeing. It is old and probably hasn't been updated in the last decade, but it's inexpensive to see and very convenient to both the Jail and the Opera house.

1  Thank PennDale