“Very Interesting”

Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Lansford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 28 November 2017

My husband and I visited the No. 9 Coal Mine and Museum to tour a shut-down coal mine. (The coal mine operated from 1855 to 1972.) We rode a train into the coal mine and then a guide took us on a walking tour of part of the mine.

My great grandfather was a coal miner and it was very interesting to see what this job involved, etc. Parts of the mine were a little creepy and we actually saw the site of several accidents. (Note: Haunted mine tours are offered in October.) The mine was dark, damp and cold. I would recommend wearing sturdy shoes and a jacket. We didn’t get dirty, but wear older clothes if you may worry about this?

Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and made jokes throughout the tour. (We tipped our guide at the end, but he told us it wasn’t necessary.)

Overall, this was a very unique tour; I would recommend taking this tour if visiting the Jim Thorpe area.

Reviewed 19 November 2017

In many years of sight-seeing, this experience ranks among the best! It is a totally authentic, ‘no frills’ look into the underground mining of anthracite coal in the coal rich regions of Pennsylvania. There is a museum and a tour into the underground interior of the mine. Published information on the hours of the museum and availability of tours indicate that the the museum only is open, and just on Saturdays, after October with no tours available. I dropped in last Saturday (11/19) thinking I could only look through the museum to be surprised to learn that I could join a group that had pre-scheduled a tour into the mine…and, as the tour ended, another group had formed for a tour. I recommend that you call ahead for info and the possibility of the going into the mine. The small staff in the museum and the tour guide were totally passionate about preserving and sharing the history of mining. In fact, just the story of the grass roots effort that it took to re-open the mine for visitors is fascinating.

The museum is located in the mine’s old ‘Wash Shanty’, a structure built in 1923 to improve conditions at the mine by providing miners with a place to wash and take a shower at the end of their shift. The museum showcases over 2,000 artifacts from the mine, including original mine equipment and tools. Displays use photographs, paintings, and models to demonstrate mine life.

Recommendations:

• Wear sturdy shoes into the mine
• Though not solicited, tip the tour guide for the great experience
• Respect the museum artifacts which are openly on display
• Buy a ‘cool’ t-shirt
• Follow this stop with a visit to the Lansford Historical Society Museum to learn about the immigrant cultures and see how the miners and families lived. Hours are limited. Plan ahead, but well worth it

Reviewed 31 October 2017

An interesting part of the hardships faced by the immigrants that worked in the coal mines. Actually get to ride down into the mine and get an idea of what it was like to work there. Our guide was not the best.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

Went here about 3 years ago when passing through PA to go home to Texas. It was definitely the highlight of the trip! Just a really fascinating and immersive experience that has stayed with me. It was chilly down in the mine but they provided jackets for everyone. The staff was really awesome! They also had a cool little gift shop with objects made of coal and they'll even engrave them for you. Really recommend this experience if you're ever nearby.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

The coal mine is neat to see and the tour guide was awesome. Very knowledgeable and professional.
The down fall of this tour was the jerk worker, who's purpose on the tour was not clear, who was smoking at the very small train station waiting for the next tour. His smoke was going directly under the roof which was small and packed with people. He was leaning on the railing of the station. Then once we were loaded on the train his smoke was going into the train car. We couldn't get away from it. I have breathing troubles and smoke triggers asthma attacks easily. Seriously, what was he thinking?
Otherwise, this was a great half day, family activity.

5  Thank Coleen S
Israel G, Manager at No. 9 Coal Mine & Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2017

I Am So sorry for that, do you remember what he looks like so I can fire him. we tell our employees they are not allowed to smoke around our guest. I won't tolerate that I suffer from cancer. so they should know better if you can give us a chance to make it up to you we will. Again I'm sorry
Israel Gonzalez