“Quaint, cozy, & good food !”

South Side Hoagie Shop
Ranked #7 of 40 Restaurants in Lewistown
Reviewed 15 November 2017

We've been eating at South Side since Jr. High School, & it has remained one of our favorites. In those years, quite a few of the staff has come & gone, but the food is still very good. Their Subs have kind of acquired a cult following in the area especially among the older crowd, who still light up with a smile when you mention "The South Side". I have a lot of Jr. & Sr. High School & after the game memories that include the South Sides Hoagies & Chili & other dishes !! Some 50 odd years later, I still feel like it's the place, when ever we mention goin out for a sub ! They're not the biggest subs, but they are one of the best in the area. Keep up the good work & friendly atmosphere guys, & we'll keep coming in !!

Reviewed 6 November 2017

I was in Lewistown on business a few weeks ago,found this place via a web search, they were the highest rated hoagie shop in the area.
I ordered the Italian hoagie with hot (wet) peppers. Even though it was lunchtime & the place was about half full, the service was very quick, they brought it to my table in less than 5 minutes. The hoagie was very good, the bun was fresh & the vinegar/oil dressing was just right. I only wish it was a little larger. Price was very affordable.
The location itself has an off-street parking lot. Once inside you order at the register & you can sit at the counter or grab a table. There are drinks in the cooler & they had a nice variety of MIddleswarth & Hartley's chips (both made semi-locally).
I'd definitely stop here again the next time I'm in the area.

Reviewed 19 August 2016

...if you are from a locale (such as Philadelphia or New York) that has excellent choices in hoagies or subs, you will likely be very disappointed in pulling off Hwy 322 and stopping here. On our way to State College we decided to give this place a try based on the "rave" reviews on this website. Let's be clear, this is a great local establishment that has a great small town feel to it. And the service was very good. But it takes more than atmosphere and good service to make a great hoagie. We found that roll and meat quality were not up to par (rolls too soft). We were perturbed to hear that provolone cheese was the only cheese offered and only two types of hot peppers were options; no sweet peppers. However, we did like the special seasoning that was sprinkled on our turkey hoagie. But the weak roll and low end meat quality was disappointing. I hate to be a hoagie snob, but South Side should try to make a few changes to ante-up their hoagie quality. Until that time occurs, I wouldn't recommend travelers driving on Route 322 to detour here.

Reviewed 28 June 2016

Eat here at least once or twice a month.Have awesome hoagies and Italian cheese steaks and salads...........

Reviewed 26 April 2016

Actually just ate there the hoagies are the best and fries are good also the people that work there are nice also my husband only eats onions on the hoagies he gets from there very good