“Cute atmosphere but average food and slow service”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tokyo Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #74 of 127 Restaurants in Media
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Reviewed 2 May 2013

My first impression was that the restaurant looked great so that the food should also be great. The menu overstates the elegance of the food. My husband ordered soft noodles with beef and there were other adjectives on the menu. In reality? Lo mein. My son and his girlfriend ordered sushi. It was a little on the fishy side. Not so that the fish is spoiled but it had apparently been sitting out for a while. My food was OK. Nothing more special than our local Chinese takeout. There were 2 waiters for the entire restaurant. Needless to say, they were extremely busy but we didn't see them very often. Had to ask for the sushi menu which turned out to be a piece of paper that you could check off the sushi that you wanted. No descriptions on the sushi menu. Would I go again? Probably not.

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We found this restaurant in pretty downtown Media, on our way from Harrisburg to a hotel in Philly. Lovely ambience and friendly service. Delicious, fresh sushi with many unique rolls. We also enjoyed the sake list.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

Margaret Kuo - Media does a great job serving up all your favorite Chinese dishes. She also has two other restaurants and all of them of spot on. If you like sushi, it is also very good here. What I like most about the place in Media is that you can park two blocks away, have a nice meal, then walk to the other sites in town. It's also a great place for take-out. Phone it in, fifteen minutes later (or so) and you can pick up your meal. After eating here for years, I have to say the place is amazingly consistent. One of the things I like most is the pickled cucumbers that come to the table while you're deciding what you would like to order. These are tangy sweet with just a touch of spicy, EXCELLENT. I always eat two dishes of them. Then there is the szechuan chicken and yiu chang pork, two of my favorites. And the gyoza, perfect. Go with friends and share a bunch of different dishes to get a taste of them all.

1  Thank SanNic44
Reviewed 6 February 2012

The name of this restaurant is now Margaret Kuo's - Media.
I had a wonderful experience for dinner here Saturday , 2/4/12 evening. The interior belies the ordinary street-front facade. Inside is very tasteful, and quiet with understated elegance. It is Asian-themed throughout. There is a sushi bar in addition to the two dining areas.

All of the staff from the maître d' to the busboy were professional, courteous and friendly. Our waiter offered several helpful suggestions for our meal, clarifying that some menu listing were sized and priced for 2 people (it was not obvious on the menu itself) and offering alternative dishes.
My dining companion had the Braised Duck, which is half a duck, braised. Very moist and flavorful. My second companion had the Velvet Chicken, which is chicken with egg whites incorporated in the preparation, she said it was quite good. I chose 2 different sushi rolls for my meal: The Crazy Roll consisting of eel, shrimp, crabstick, smoked salmon, avocado, cucumber, scallion, caviar and spicy sauce; and the Tiger Roll consisting of spicy salmon, caviar, cucumber, shrimp and avocado. Both were delicious, with about 5 large pieces per roll. Dessert was a fresh home-made lemon sorbet which was light, smooth and refreshing.

Though there is no bar to sit at, a full range of cocktails are available as well as wine and beer. Also, one may BYOB at no corking fee, quite nice!

Overall, dinner here was a wonderful experience.

2  Thank Sid_Mac

Been to Tokyo Japanese Restaurant? Share your experiences!