“Fine Food Made with Care”

Papaya Vietnamese Contemporary Tapas
Reserve with OpenTable
Papaya Vietnamese Contemporary Tapas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 89 Restaurants in North Wales
Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

Admittedly I am a biased reviewer. My wife, a caring excellent home chef herself, and I were one of the first customers when the restaurant literally was empty except for us. We were passerbys who were attracted by the "Contemporary Vietnamese" sign because we like Vietnamese cooking, but even if you hate this type of Asian food, I can assure you that you will love Papaya.

Let start with the atmosphere. The place is in an unassuming strip mall on Bethlehem Pike, just north of the 202 bypass. Inside is a charming restaurant with little more than a down tables of varying size. When we were last there on Christmas Eve, one table was set for 10, and the wonderful engaging family owners were ready for a full house. Son, Patrick, well- trained at the nearby Po Li, is the king of the immaculately clean open kitchen.

Complementary shrimp chips came shortly after we sat. They're my 7 yo granddaughter's favorite food. Give me some wine and chips, and I am set for the night, but I didn't stop there. The sautéed brussel sprouts were the best we have eater. Usually served with pork belly, we prefer without. Yummy is the description for the spicy shrimp in a martini glass. We passed on the wing that night, but at other times they were terrific. So many other great small dishes! We eat a lots of salmon yet frequently we find the dish not up to my wife's barbecue variety at most restaurants. Patrick's salmon, served with rice, is as good. Sorry, honey! Add soy suave to taste. Spare ribs, chicken entree, and pad tai are other favorites. We have not tried dessert, but some day we will. Definitely coming back!

Casual dress for sure. BYO. Reasonably priced, especially considering the quality.

1  Thank Foody-MD

Reviewed 4 December 2016

First time dining here. We were all shocked at how different but amazing all the dishes are, including a very picky 13 year old! I would suggest ordering several tapas or appetizers to share and an entree or one of the larger tapas/apps apiece. We were particularly impressed with the steak ceviche, chicken roti, and cannolis for dessert. It really was not pricey even with all the tapas, and the quality, atmosphere, and service were all fantastic. Owner came over to our table to chat...very friendly and provided recommendations. We will be back!

1  Thank Kristi S
Reviewed 24 October 2016

We really enjoy this small, local restaurant. Their creations are inventive, blending spices and ingredients into delicious dishes. Vietnamese in its base, the chef takes us into other experiences that will leave you wanting more. Note that you will pay more than at a traditional Vietnamese restaurant, however, this is no traditional Vietnamese eatery (other than the delightful, friendly staff).

1  Thank BobandDebyT
Reviewed 21 October 2016

Never disappoints. Each visit confirms their creativity and passion for great food. Service is quick and very friendly. Prices are competitive with other tapas restaurants. Highly recommended. BYOB.

Reviewed 9 October 2016

in our proximity, great value food and nice awesome taste...would love to go again, nice location thanks!