“Excellent on many levels”
Review of Salerno's Cafe

Salerno's Cafe
Ranked #4 of 34 Restaurants in Old Forge
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

We had lunch at the bar and ordered a variety of items which were all excellent;

Tomato garlic white pizza was crisp, light and bursting with flavor.

Shrimp & hot pepper red pizza was crisp & light with savory shrimp flavor and a bit of heat on the back end.

Their tripe is tender and served in a velvety tomato sauce which I add crushed red pepper to for an added kick.

The veal & peppers is tender and served in a savory white wine sauce which must be sopped up with the fresh Italian bread included in the meal.

Their sausage in sauce can either be a platter served with bread or a sandwich both of which have great flavor and texture.

Gina the bartender took our orders quickly and was attentive to our drink orders and refilled us when necessary.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

My wife was working long hours recently. We decided to order take-out for convenience. My wife and daughter voted for Salerno's Pizza despite my disagreement. We have had their pizza and it is just not good, in my opinion, at least for everybody. This is a niche style pizza. If you like hard crust, burnt cheese and little to no sauce, then THIS is the place for you. I have said to my family previously I did not care for their pizza, but I lost again. Well I was SO RIGHT this time, my wife opened the box and shook her head in disgust, took two pieces, finished one and then asked if anyone wanted anymore of "THIS". I forced two pieces, my daughter one, which she shared crust with the dog and my wife proceeded to throw the rest out. The old saying is "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on ME." There WILL BE NO THIRD TIME! There are too many quality pizza shops in the area and I will no longer pay for substandard food being passed off as fit for human consumption. As I said, if YOU like it....God Bless and enjoy, but never another cent of my money spent here.

Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Several of us went here based on a recommendation from a friend. It felt like your average bar with average food and average beer. Our waitress was friendly and attentive which was the highlight of the evening. I doubt we would go back because there are several other choices in the area. The bathroom was a little beat up with no door on the stall and no lock on the outside door so anybody could walk in when you are doing your business.

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

The best Al Dente pasta this side of Sorrento. The meat or cheese ravioli is made with fresh dough on site. So is the Fusili. The sauce is sooo smooth you can drink it, and I do...yummm. The meatballs are made in house by hand, and the sausage they put in the sauce is so delicious, but not overpowering. And if you can't decide on the above, then get the baked Gnocchi...you will be sooo HAPPY. Mangia, mangia!Tell Anthony Caren and Frank sent you!Ciao bella!

Reviewed 2 March 2017

Went on the Sunday night of President's Weekend to celebrate a couple of family birthdays. We just wanted pizza and sodas, but it took forever. Only 1 waitress on duty on a Sunday at 5 on a holiday weekend, which seemed odd (maybe someone called off sick?) but the service was very slow, even to get refills on the drinks. At one point, we had been waiting for additional silverware, so I got up and went to the station and picked ii up myself. The trays of red were cooked perfectly, but the tray of white was well-done on the bottom, with almost the entire crust was dark brown unlike the lightly toasted brown we are used to--the top was fine, but the almost-burnt taste permeated the whole thing. I know the waitress was flustered, but the lack of attention to our group of 8 was annoying, especially when my aunt and uncle were leaving (the rest of the party was still at the table) and she told them they couldn't leave without paying the bill (which hadn't even been delivered to our table yet). Why she assumed they were paying, I have no idea as my brother and I made the reservation and ordered all the food for the table. If we hadn't been there at least a dozen times every year for the past 40 years, we definitely wouldn't be returning. I will chalk this experience up to the lack of help in the dining room and kitchen, but if it happens again, we may not return. It's not the same without Aggie taking the orders!

2  Thank Danielle R