“Great dinner with great service!”
Review of Union Standard

Union Standard
Reserve with OpenTable
Union Standard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #110 of 2,429 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Description: Union Standard offers local, seasonal foods; the ever-changing menu specializes in the cuisine of the American Northeast, Mid Atlantic, and Appalachian regions and is enhanced by the addition of a Raw Bar.
Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

My husband and I drove into city to meet my son who was flying in for weekend from Italy. He was dressed casually from a long flight and more comfortable for a long flight. Made a reservation for 7:45 pm Friday and got there a bit early! Had been in one other time for dinner and manager remembered me. Always great to feel like your servers remember you...!
Great drinks at the bar with awesome raw bar choices!!! I'm usually not a huge fan of raw oysters but these are amazing with the green apple vinigrette and a bit of horseradish... YUM!!! My husband and son got shrimp too and it was a hit!
Bar had a cool vibe that was busy but not crazy and humming but not overly loud. Went upstairs for dinner and had the strip steak, salmon and cod! All were great! No dish was left not cleaned. Don't miss the sides as the cannelloni beans with escarole and marrow was unbelievable and onion spaetzle was yummy addition to each dish!
Blue crab dip starter was so fresh! Topped it all off with some mixed flavors of sorbets that hit the spot! We'll be back as we all talked about what we'd try next time!!!!
Great job chef, Wayne and staff!
Love the cleanliness of everything... doors coming in, they are glass, to the bathrooms clean, clean, clean!!!
Don't miss coming here time and time again!

Date of visit: July 2017
1  Thank pgood2

Reviewed 27 June 2017

Our group met here on the second floor for happy hour and hors d'oeuvres after a day of conference. The food was excellent - I especially enjoyed the shrimp and cocktail sauce (hottest I have ever experience!!) and there were other items like a brussel sprout salad, oysters, crudités and more. The staff were very nice and managed to keep track of our separate bar bills, but it is a pretty "ambivalent" space - not cozy or awesome or anything really.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

The Union Standard was a great overall dining experience. The atmosphere is a great use of the space, the service was truly outstanding. With that said, we weren't entirely happy with the Skillet Baked Blue Crab. It had some excellent blue crab meat that was hidden in cheese and bread crumbs. The crab alone would have been better. The Wood Baked Local Asparagus was outstanding when we scraped half of the sauce off. It was nearly hidden in the deviled egg dressing. (It is worth noting that we really liked the dressing, it was just too much for the asparagus). For our main course we shared a steak which was cooked perfectly to medium rare. [As I read this review I'm questioning my 5 rating, but this restaurant is definitely better than a 4). We will return and do recomend it!

1  Thank MsOrdeal
Reviewed 16 June 2017

We stopped in here for lunch after checking into our hotel. It's a pretty modern styled restaurant in the historical Union Trust Building. Service was very good and the food was delicious! I had their chicken pot pie and it was terrific!

Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

The space is a modern, yet relaxed design in a historic building in downtown Pittsburgh. We made online reservations easily through the Resy app. We were greeted promptly upon arrival and shown to our table. The service was fantastic throughout dinner. Prices were very reasonable.

We started with the grilled calamari appetizer. The plate included endive, white beans and grilled lemon. The squid was tender with nice, fresh flavors. We then both ordered the cauliflower schnitzel. This was a cauliflower "steak" which was breaded in panko and pan fried. It was an interesting take on the German classic, but not particularly memorable flavor wise. I had the onion spätzle as my side item. This was another interpretive dish, as the pasta were small pellets, slightly larger than Israeli couscous. Like the entree, it was good, but not special.

Fortunately, they saved the best for last. I had a scoop of coconut-lime sorbet that was fantastic. You could definitely ruin a diet on this stuff.

So, good start and ending. The core of the meal was interesting, but just OK.

Date of visit: May 2017