“great experience”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southside Flats
Reviewed 11 February 2014

overall my dining experience at this cafe was pure bliss. I enjoy everything from the atmosphere to my martini. The food was amazing and fresh. A bit expensive but worth every penny. I will be visiting again soon for date night.

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I used to frequent this restaurant a lot more when I lived in the south side. I went back around Christmas and we were the only people there on a Thursday night at 6.

The staff is very friendly but the food was just average. I had a chicken dish that I could have just as easily made at home.

This would be an ideal restaurant to be featured on Restarant Impossible, it desperately needs renovated and a new menu.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

My wife and I were coming to pittsburgh and I wanted to find somewhere she and her family hadn't been to before. I went online and found 17th street cafe and thought everything looked great! We arrived at Pat the owner was very pleasant and engaging as we're his service staff.

We started put with the Risotto balls which were served on a marinara sauce. Delicious.

My wife got a seafood scampi which was very good and I relieved a Pan seared duck over mushroom risotto and cranberries. Also very delicious.

Being a professional chef I wanted to see the kitchen, and these guys are putting out some amazing food from a very small kitchen! I was impressed.

The restaurant seats probably 30 people at the most but I actually liked it because it allowed for a more personal experience.

I would definitely tell everyone about this place, and would even love the opportunity to work there if I lived in pittsburgh.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Recently visited this restaurant with friends and was very happy overall. We each enjoyed our entree. I tried the "pillows" which were unique and very yummy! The chef made an alteration for a friend's meal, which I thought was very kind and turned out wonderfullly. I like that the food is made-to-order and you are able to request changes. Overall, great meal with kind staff. We will be returning soon to try other items on the menu.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We've dined at the 17th Street Café before and even though we live in the northern suburbs we keep coming back because of the great food and welcoming atmosphere. This restaurant is small and cozy with the friendliest staff and owner I've ever had the pleasure to meet. And their food is of high quality and very reasonably priced. We started our meal with soup on a very cold evening. My husband loved his Italian wedding soup and I thought the soup of the day, a roasted red pepper soup, was one of the best I can remember. We both ordered one of the daily specials, a chicken and shrimp pillows entrée that was the kind of food that you find yourself trying not to moan over, it was so good. The pillows are a trademark of this restaurant and seem to be a cross between gnocchi and ravioli. Do yourself a favor and try this restaurant when you are next deciding where to go to dinner. It's also a real bonus that they are now accepting reservations as during peak times they can get really busy. We didn't have any trouble finding street parking close by for those of you who might hesitate to go into the South Side for dinner. Kudos to the owners for creating a great menu and superior dining experience. My only complaint is that the restaurant was very cold. To be fair though it was a very frigid night in January and we ate early, soon after the restaurant opened.