“Birthday dinner”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 May 2017 via mobile

We were visiting the city for the weekend for my birthday and to catch a Pirates game. We made reservations months in advance and our table was ready about 10 minutes after arriving, they knew it was my birthday which was nice ! The decor was neat and interesting. We sat in a section with lots of two top tables and the tables were very close to us. You could easily hear the conversations of our neighboring tables. There was a variety of clientele and dress, from sneakers to sports coats. Service was good and food was very nice. There are interesting things on the menu ! We started with the cheeseboard, which was average. I ordered the scallops and blue crab risotto and it was seriously good. I had the flourless chocolate cake for dessert (it was the special) and they put a candle in it, which was thoughtful. All in all we would go back. I will say the drinks were a bit overpriced, $15 for a glass of the house Cabernet !

Reviewed 8 May 2017

My wife and I ate dinner here on 5/6/17 while in Pittsburgh on vacation. We found the restaurant online and the menu looked interesting so we made 5pm reservations. It's a good thing we did because by 5:30 the unique little place was packed. I ordered the filet and my wife ordered the scallops. My filet was cooked to a perfect medium rare but the accompanying potatoes could have used a few more minutes because they were a little hard. My wife's scallops were somehow overcooked on the outside and undercooked on the inside. The service was good and we would come back but perhaps try something different.

Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

Fantastic is the only word that comes to mind when thinking about how to describe this place.

From the food selections to the service, everything is top notch. The space is so unique and inviting, it makes you feel like you're going to your grandmothers home for dinner. That is - if your grandmother has a full house of friends on any given night of the week.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like your grandmother has a full house of people all the time, as I went on a Thursday night and the place was standing room only. Perhaps the best thing about the restaurant is the amazing range of foodstuffs. There is something for every palette on the menu.

I sat at the bar and had a fantastic burger with the starter cauliflower dish that rocked my world. The drink menu, including the selection of beers, both bottle and on tap, is truly unique. They even they even had an Oregon Pinot Noir wine by the glass.

I've now found my new favorite restaurant in Pittsburgh. I will definitely be back.

Reviewed 29 April 2017

We ate here as this place is hard to get into on a Friday. but we did get a reservation. A mistake. The place is dark and very noisy. I had to read the menu by iPhone light. Most of the dishes are obscure and the waiter was not available to explain the choices. A nice drink started the meal, I had walleye. Pretty bland and over cooked to dryness. It took forever to get our check and an item was added we didn't order, but I couldn't find the waiter to complain. The other restaurants in this group are better. Meat and potatoes and Pork and Beans. We went elsewhere for dessert and coffee.

Reviewed 27 April 2017

Made reservations for an early dinner before a show at the Byham. Such an interesting and eclectic restaurant. We were warmly greeted and promptly taken upstairs to our table. The decor is so interesting...a mounted deer head was directly above our table, but I enjoyed the company. There were mounted fish, a stuffed bear, and a library of books. Very eclectic, which I enjoy. Our food consisted of Rustic Bread, Scallops, roasted Cauliflower and Mac 'n Cheese. I must say the food was delicious! My favorite was the cauliflower. Husband stated the scallops were the best he had ever eaten. We shared a slice of cheesecake which was absolutely divine! Our wait person, Ralph, was absolutely fantastic! He was thorough, helpful, efficient and so pleasant. The lighting is quite dim, however, so use the light on your cell phone to read the menu. We were there on a Wednesday evening and the place was packed. We left a bit after 7:00 PM, and the bar area at the main entrance was shoulder-to-shoulder. We had such an enjoyable time and look forward to returning.