“Family dinner”

Ranked #18 of 94 Restaurants in Willow Grove
Price range: US$7 - US$17
Cuisines: Mexican, Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Pull up a stool, join us at the Mad Mex in Willow Grove, PA. We are Funky and not scared to put fun things together if they taste good. We make just about everything from scratch daily. Inspired by West Coast food: healthy, fun, local, experimental. And microbrews. We don't use any lard but simple marinades of citrus and spices. We love Mexican food and big flavors, big plates, fire and sunshine, beer and tequila to wash it down. That is why we are Funky Fresh Cal-Mex! This ain't no Mexican restaurant, this is MAD MEX! Come in and enjoy one of the best happy hours in Willow Grove.
Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

Food was good. Salsa not my cup of tea but was good. Margarita was killer!! Will be back. The only downfall was the music was very loud Couldn’t hear each other talk

Reviewed 11 March 2018

Our family likes to visit this Mad Mex Mexican restaurant in Willow Grove, PA on occasion. We enjoy the food which is really good as well as the level of service.

Mad Mex is located in a shopping center off of Moreland Road in Willow Grove and the restaurant is located next to a CVS Pharmacy and other retail tenants include AFC Urgent Care, MAB paints, etc. Parking for the restaurant can be a little tight on the weekends as certain parking spots are restricted for the retail tenants as well as for Mad Mex. There are signs on certain parking spots and for which retail tenants those spots are for.

Prices on the menu range from $ 4 and up to $17 which include appetizers, soups & chili, wings, salads, burritos, enchiladas, fajitas, quesadillas and wraps. There are a good selection of tacos, wraps, burritos and enchiladas to select from and I would strongly recommend reading the menu carefully to see what is in each item. Some items can be very spicy and others are mild. So if you like spicy food, then this place is for you. I have gotten some items from the menu which were a little spicer than I prefer, but they were really good overall.

I have tried the fajitas, tacos, and several of the enchiladas from the menu and have enjoyed each of them. I also like the chips to start our meal as well as the salsa and the guacamole. You can get the mild to hot salsa for your trips.

Serving sizes are large as well and you may end up taking home leftovers. The music can be a little loud in the restaurant depending on where you are sitting.

Definitely save room for dessert such as for item for chocolate filled churros, chocolate brownie with ice cream and other delicious favorites.

Overall, we enjoyed a good meal once again at this Mad Mex location and will be visiting again. We found our meal to be delicious and the service was great. Our server was responsive and helpful and offered recommendations from the menu for us.

I definitely recommend trying this place if you want good quality Mexican cuisine at affordable prices.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

In my prior 2 reviews I noted that the service and quality were declining as compared to visits previously. I'm happy to say that our most recent experience reversed that trend. The service was much better and the shrimp/spinach/mushroom burrito contained the amount of shrimp it used to have rather than just a rice filled burrito with a few shrimp mixed in.

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

Stopped by here with some coworkers for lunch and had a great experience! They have a nice lunch menu that was super reasonable and had lots of options. Decor and service was great and very prompt which helps when you are out to lunch from work. Everyone liked their food and portions were very generous. Lots of vegetarian options too. Also drink menu looked good but didn’t get a chance try them out this time!

Reviewed 26 October 2017

Food we got was mediocre. Kids' plates were supposed to come with milk or juice, carrots + celery + ranch, and a brownie with a scoop of ice cream, for $6. Good deal! Except we didn't get any of that, only the mains. Of these mains, one was a chicken taco "with jack cheese, lettuce, Mexican rice, pico, and corn" that included only a taco-size tortilla and utterly bare grilled chicken, with little tubs of corn and rice on the side. No lettuce, no cheese. The other was a quesadilla: though pictured with what appear to be rice, corn and salsa, the picture is a very rough drawing and the text did not specify those accompaniments here, so I won't fault that. I will repeat, though: no drink, veg, or dessert, though they still cost six bucks each. For the adult, a "Spicy Mad Mex Burrito (steak)" was huge....because it was stuffed with about 75% rice, 12% beans, and 12% steak, with 1% cheese and spices. Tasted real good, but $11 for a wheat bag of rice is a bit much when the menu trumpets "Spanish onions, fresh carrots, jalapeño, cilantro, lime and garlic...with black beans and Monterey Jack cheese inside, salsa and lettuce outside." Definitely not a shred of lettuce, though the rice was flavorful enough that it may have been cooked in the same pot with the professed alliums & capsicum etc, and we got a little pot of salsa and another of sour cream. All in all, I wouldn't go back. Lots of cool knick-knacks and fun decor--not to mention prices--had my hopes up for something better than average.