“Sorry we waited to visit.”
Review of Stouch Tavern

Stouch Tavern
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Womelsdorf
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 14 February 2017

My wife took me here this past Saturday, as part of my Valentines Day Gift. The menu reminded us both of what a lot of fine dining menus looked like back in the mid 70's and 80's. Nice steaks, simply prepared, and excellent seafood dishes as well.....and all reasonable priced. Another throwback touch: they prepare Caesar Salad table side, and also do table side flambe desserts. The atmosphere is truly historic, and, George Washington actually did sleep here in 1783, I believe. I started off with their baked French Onion Soup, and Joan had their signature Crab Soup. Both were very tasty. Next we both had a house side salad. It wasn't too large...just right for a dinner salad. They make their own salad dressings, in-house, and they were wonderful. I had the French, and my wife had balsamic vinaigrette. For our entrees, Joan had the Tenderloin Diane, and it truly was superb. I ordered the Filet Mignon, and it came exactly as requested...medium rare, with sauteed mushrooms. It was very tender and tasty, but I should have requested a mushroom sauce to accompany it, as it was a little dry. Three veggies came with the entree...sliced carrots, bliss potatoes, and a side of sweet potato salad. All were properly prepared, and the sweet potato salad was a pleasant surprise. Four slices of wonderful, crispy garlic toast were served with the meal as well. For dessert, we both had Cherries Jubilee, prepared table side. They also serve alcoholic drinks....nice selection of draft beers on tap, mixed drinks, and a few wines served by the glass, but, no wine list.

The servers were young, and really tried hard....they just need to get some of the rough edges polished.....but nothing that would or should ruin someone's dining experience.

The also did something for me when we were leaving, that my wife and I both really appreciated....we're both handicapped, seasoned citizens. The manager asked where we were parked, and when I mentioned in the parking lot in back of the restaurant, rather than go out the front door, they took me to the back of the restaurant and let us go out a service entrance that led right to the parking lot, so we didn't have to negotiate the stairs out front, and then walk up the brick covered driveway. It saved us a lot of huffing and puffing.

For the quality of the meal, large portion size, overall charm and decor, and service, the prices were very reasonable. I wish we had known about this place sooner, because we sure wouldn't have waited to visit, We'll definitely be back again.

1  Thank Mike H

Reviewed 11 January 2017

We went here to celebrate some birthdays. Everyone enjoyed the full courses that they ordered. We ordered the Caesar salad that is prepare at table side, very nicely done. We also ordered the Crepe Suzette, which was also prepared at table side. What a treat.

We went on a Saturday and there weren't many people at the restaurant, but there didn't seem to be enough wait or kitchen staff. The waitress had to do everything; she did a great job but they need more staff.

1  Thank MommaMia2017
Reviewed 24 December 2016 via mobile

My 6th great-grandfather was Conrad Weiser. His homestead is just a mile or two from the Tavern. Being able to enjoy a meal at Stouch Tavern, and knowing he had done the same, was an incredible experience for me. The atmosphere is totally authentic. The food delicious, the service gracious and the cocktails were unbelievably reasonable, even with premium liquor. Had we known the price we would still be there drinking! The Stouch Tavern is a piece of history to be treasured...And, yes, Goerge Washington stayed there.

2  Thank sativey
Reviewed 8 October 2016 via mobile

The food was decent but the decor and the historical value was amazing! Beautiful fire place, floors, ceiling, and overall fantastic atmosphere and ambiance!!!

1  Thank 76wp
Reviewed 20 August 2016

I had eaten at Stouch Tavern one wintery day when the inside was packed with diners and an inviting ambiance (fireplace and table lanterns) and had been very impressed. Recently I visited early one broiling afternoon when there were only a few diners. Still, it was as if there was a cook in the back making fresh goodies just for me. My meal was the Stouch Tavern special (beef tenderloin, cheese, and ham in a mushroom gravy topped with an onion ring) served with 3 vegetables (boiled potato, carrot coins, beet slices) and I had a choice of salad or soup du jour. I chose the creamed spinach soup which was a cream sauce with whole wilted spinach and celery slices. The sliced beets were tender and sweet and appeared to have been roasted--so outstanding compared to canned beets. Toasted garlic bread was also served. Amazingly, they were able to produce a strawberry-blueberry cobbler in a tender crust for one person. I had this ala mode, of course. I'm not that fond of beef but the tenderloin (cooked to my preference) was tender and delicious. Next time I want to try some of their seafood choices.

The whole experience seemed a bit like being at Sturbridge Village in an inn but more authentic and I was in Pennsylvania! A delightful adventure. Be sure to check hours before going as they vary. Plenty of free parking in the back or on the street.

1  Thank Brenda B