“Still Amazing after All These Years”
Review of Nordic Lodge

Nordic Lodge
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Charlestown
Price range: US$90 - US$100
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Description: Unlimited high end buffet featuring lobster, prime rib, filet mignon, scallops, shrimp, oysters, clams, fresh fruits, seafood and many other salads, gourmet dessert bar including chocolate covered strawberries and cherries, carrot cake, cheesecake, strawberry shortcake, apple blossoms and even Haagan Dazs ice cream bar.
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

The first time I went to the Nordic Lodge was about 25 years ago. Shocked and amazed were my reactions to the all you can eat seafood buffet. Endless lobster! Are you kidding me? I would go back to visit every so often. Each time it was the same beautiful bounty as the time before. I was living in Connecticut at the time, but then moved further away. The time between my visits became longer and longer. Before I knew it, I hadn't been back in over 10 years.

A family vacation to Mystic and Essex took me back to the same area and I just had to make the trek to the Nordic Lodge to see if it still lived up to it's reputation. It was as if I never left. They have done some renovation, especially outside with the picnic tables and Adirondack chairs. There was a fire pit, a sand volleyball court, and a badminton net. People were enjoying drinks and soaking up the scenery outside while they waited for their tables.

Inside hadn't changed much. Why mess with success. The comfy ambience, friendly staff, and mounds of amazing food was all still there. I plowed through two lobsters, a ton of crab legs, two plates of steamers, and a pile of shrimp cocktail. I ended up grabbing a plate of exotic fruits ad then went straight for the ice cream bar and had a Haagen Das sundae and several chocolate dipped strawberries. My adult children were with me and they ate tons of freshly shucked oysters and nice slabs of perfectly cooked prime rib. I have started the Nordic Lodge tradition with a second generation now. My kids are hooked and still talk about the feast.

The price is up there ($96 per adult), but everything is included except for any alcoholic drinks. I feel the quality and quantity is so exceptional that the price is worth it for a special occasion. If you have never tried it, you should. It's deep inside the woods, so you have to search for it.

My Nordic Lodge tips are...don't eat heavily before you go. I had breakfast, but passed on lunch that day. If you are paying $96, get your money's worth. Skip the alcohol and just have water or ice tea. The alcohol, especially beer, can fill you up. Go for the good stuff. Hit the lobster, clams, crab, oysters first. I skip any salads, breads, or veggies. They take up a lot of real estate in your stomach. Where your lobster bib, you'll need it. It's the appropriate uniform for the meal. Eat as much as you like, but don't eat so much you feel as if you will burst. If you are like most people, it's a long ride home to feel that uncomfortable.

Lisa B, Manager at Nordic Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Wow ! Thank you for sharing such a kind and detailed review. Being family owned and operated for nearly 40 years offering the buffet, it can be challenging to keep it fresh for guests that have visited for so long. We are very glad you found our efforts successful. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and I specifically came here for the Nordic Lodge. We originally saw a video review on Facebook and by impulse decided to venture over to Rhode Island and try it. This was our first time here ans we enjoyed every moment of it. Although we did not get a chance to lay on the hammocks, we enjoyed the food and the scenery. The all you can eat lobsters and crabs were especially great!

Lisa B, Manager at Nordic Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Thanks so much for sharing Jerry. We are very glad you enjoyed your time with us and we'll look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

Probably the best seafood buffet I have ever encountered! The all you could eat lobster was fantastic and the crab legs were a bonus. I thought the prime rib was also exceptional. A real gourmet experience. Thanks, Nordic Lodge!!

Thanks so much for sharing such a kind review. We are so very glad you enjoyed our offerings. We will look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

The Nordic Lodge in Rhode Island is literally out of this world. It is very nestled and secluded in the mountains and the hills of Rhode Island. It's about a three and a half hour drive to get there to this restaurant, give or take an hour. It is a very picturesque excursion. One must travel there during the early daytime, because you don't want to get caught out there at night with the wild life. Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh My!!!

The food at the Nordic Lodge in Rhode Island is fabulous. All of the seafood that you can eat and filet minion too! They allow you to select your very own full lobster and King crab legs. All you can eat. Very delicious. If you are into eating seafood with gusto and relish, I suggest this place. It's not every day that one gets to eat as many full lobsters, King crab legs, oysters, shrimps, scallops, and filet minion that one wants. There was lots of variety of desserts as well: NY Style Cheese Cake, brownies, pies, cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc. Just make sure that you go to this restaurant on an empty stomach, so that you may sample all of the food. It's a nice day trip.

Lisa B, Manager at Nordic Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

How very nice !! Thank you so much for sharing!! It sounds like we can plan on seeing you again in the future and for that we are grateful.

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

another great trip to the nordic,as usual food outstanding,service beyond reproach,be ready to eat eat eat and eat some more.

Perfect ! Exactly the kind of review we hope for. We look forward to providing you with many more awesome dining experiences in the future David. TY for sharing.