We recently spent four nights at the Wentworth Mansion and found it to be – despite its size (24,000 square feet) and grandeur – very comfortable and welcoming. Staff members are unfailingly friendly and helpful, and a wide range of amenities is offered: coffee and pastries each morning in the house; full breakfast in Circa 1886, the highly-rated restaurant located in the adjacent carriage house; tea and lemonade in the parlor during the afternoon; wine and appetizers (from Circa 1886) each evening from 5 to 6 on the sunporch; and cordials available all day – not to mention the cupola, which offers a wonderful 360 degree view of Charleston. Our room, one of the mansion’s original bedrooms, was spacious, with a sitting area, a gas fireplace, and a huge bathroom that included a jetted tub and glass-enclosed shower. My one criticism – and the reason I’m not giving the hotel an “excellent” rating – is the housekeeping and maintenance. Although the house underwent a very high-quality rehabilitation in the 1990s, it’s now showing some signs of wear and tear (stains here and there on carpets and upholstery, scratches on wooden furniture, smudges on the wall around light switches, etc.), and the housekeeping staff needs to step it up a notch. Our room was obviously dusty in places (picking up a pamphlet from a bedside table, for instance, sent dust flying), and corners looked a bit grimy. I own and live in a Victorian house myself and know they aren’t easy to keep spotless, but a hotel that bills itself as “one of the world’s finest” – and charges $300 and up per night – really should be spotless and perfectly maintained. The only other drawback is that the house is a bit farther away from the King Street-Meeting Street area, the heart of downtown Charleston, than many of its competitors.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wentworth Mansion® is, quite simply, one of the world's finest and most unique inns. A 21-room tribute to Charleston grandeur, The Wentworth Mansion is a historic downtown Charleston inn that exemplifies splendor with Italian crystal chandeliers, hand-carved marble fireplaces, gracious hospitality, luxurious amenities - all just steps from award-winning dining, art, history, and shopping.True to its original role as a private residence, The Wentworth Mansion embraces guests with a warm, intuitive service that is comfort itself. Like the greatest family traditions, it preserves its original intrigue and ensures that each guest is not a mere witness to the magic, but integral to it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Wentworth Mansion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wentworth Mansion Charleston
- Wentworth Mansion Hotel Charleston