“3 1/2 stars but could be so much nicer”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview
Ranked #54 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 14 August 2015

Read so many negative reviews about this hotel so I was reluctant to book, however, everyplace I checked into the days I wanted was either booked or overpriced so I took a chance.
This hotel could be REALLY nice but faces many challenges, since this is a review I will stick to the facts;
Front desk; most excellent, friendly and competent… THANK YOU Allen
Room; my room was nicely decorated, clean and a good but noisy A/C.
Hallways; Dogs are allowed in the hotel and hearing dogs bark from other rooms was a tad much, with dog hair and people the hallways were clean in the morning but at mess at night.
Breakfast; limited choices but sufficient, the eating area is small and usually very crowded, the single hotel employee trying to keep up with the customers is a very tall order for anyone.
Internet; hit and miss, great at times and awful others.
Pool; fine, but I did not use it.
Hotel employees; very helpful and accommodating.
Overall; I might consider staying again, I just do not understand why staffing is so thin at a very large and busy property, limiting pet access to specific floors and paying attention to detail would make this a very nice place.

1  Thank Cruisinbob

Reviewed 14 August 2015

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly.

The Good: Front Desk staff, efficient and attentive despite the fact that in a large hotel only one person is working the desk at a time. Housekeeping Staff, on point all the way. Room, nicely decorated and comfortable, including a nice bed/mattress. Location, amazing!

The Bad: WiFi Signal sort of came and went, not dependable. The telephone system. Room to front desk didn't work from my room at all. Trying to call the front desk directly from my cell phone didn't work either, most of the time. This could be dangerous. They knew about it on day one, but still didn't fix it on day two. My rate was never adjusted accordingly. Speaking of rate: too high for what a guest receives and definitely not up to La Quinta standards.

The Ugly: Whirlpool tub didn't work. I reported it on the first day of my two day stay. A maintenance staff person heard me tell this to the front desk clerk. It was never fixed, and yet my room rate wasn't adjusted accordingly;

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 August 2015 via mobile

La Quinta is great for not charging a pet fee. This location has updated rooms and breakfast area set right on the Marina. The breakfast selection could use some eggs and bacon/sausage and the fitness room needs updated equipment. Overall a great stay for the price.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2015

We recently stayed here for a few days while visiting Charleston. The check in went smoothly and the girl at the desk was very friendly and helpful. We requested a smoking room, so we were placed in the 2nd building with a beautiful view of the marina. The room was very clean, smelled fresh, and decorated very nicely. The bed was so comfortable and had plenty of comfy pillows as well. There was some renovations going on but we were never disturbed by them. The hotel is pet friendly and doesn't charge a pet fee, which was great since we had our dog with us. I would highly recommend this hotel. Great price, great rooms and a great location.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 8 August 2015

I have stayed at several La Quinta hotels, and always had a good experience. Well, there's a first time for everything, they say. My experience with this hotel was very disappointing.
It began when we checked in. Our room was the only occupied room on our end of a first floor hallway that was cluttered with supplies for an ongoing renovation. Additionally, I had booked (and paid extra for) a "marina view suite", and all you could see out the first floor window was the parking lot. I went back to the desk and requested a room change, but was told they only had two "suites" and the other was already occupied. So be aware, you have a 50/50 shot for actually getting a "marina view suite" as one is on the fourth floor (great location!), the other is on the first floor (lousy location!).
The actual room was very nice, and the only thing I can really say was good about this hotel. Large sitting area with sleeper sofa (more about that in a sec). Glass doors separate it from the large king size bedroom and huge bathroom.
Since there seemed to be no other suitable option, we unpacked and went out for the evening. When we returned and got ready for bed, we discovered (at 10:30 pm) that not only was the sleeper sofa not made up, there were no linens or pillows/blankets provided for it. A call to the front desk produced sheets and one pillow-no blanket. We made due with beach towels and called it a night.
The next morning I spoke to the hotel manager, and he apologized and stated that the sleeper should have been made up. To be fair, he did comp me a little for our inconvenience, but I would rather not have had issues in the first place.
Other issues: breakfast was a joke-too many people and not much food, and what little was provided was not especially good. No pool towels-had to go to the desk and ask. Asked housekeeping (their workspace was right across the hall from our room) for a couple of extra washcloths and was told they didn't have any. Security was lax, with no locks on the outside doors. People were smoking outside every exit, and one evening several young men had borrowed pool chairs and were sitting outside the back door smoking and drinking (large quantities) of beer.
Additionally, being tucked down next to a marina makes this hotel pretty quiet, but fairly hard to find (we kept getting turned around). It is walking distance to one restaurant, California Dreaming, but you'll need a car to get to anything else. The hotel says they run a free shuttle into downtown Charleston beginning at 10 am, but we did not try it.
Overall, I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: some rooms are outside entrance in an older building; rooms on the "marina" side may not h...