“Keep driving”

Bert's Southern Cooking
Ranked #7 of 23 Restaurants in Elgin
Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

The food is terrible. The meatloaf has ketchup and gravy and was extremely salty. The corn and black eyed peas tasted like it came directly from a can. The macaroni and cheese looked great but had no seasoning whatsoever. The beef stew was blocks of meat with no stew elements at all. The sweet potato was too sweet. The mashed potatoes were made from a box and cold. The prices are ridiculous for what you receive and the service is slow!!!! The only thing pleasant about this experience was the decor. It’s looks very nice inside for a soul food spot. I will never return here again. It was much better when they were located on North Main with the roaches on staff.

1  Thank Latrice L

Reviewed 28 February 2018

We stopped by the food and service was so good but the pricing was very high for the amount of food. My husband and I left out still Hungry and paid over $106.00 dollars that's a lot of money to us. The price is not on the Menu and that our fault we should have ask. The atmosphere was beautiful and relaxing.

1  Thank berrica l
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Her cooking will blow you away.. I absolutely love this place for the fine southern cuisine that is above all in the same category. Her fried chicken is just like homemade and not the fast food style. Also the grilled pound cake will make you smack yo momma! Don't hesitate and go try this awesome southern cooking. Wish I would have taken a photo.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

A friend who knows the owner made reservations here. I have really never paid attention to this restaurant, even though I drive by occasionally. We had dinner on a Friday night, which is "date night." The menu is different from the rest of the week, with no prices on the menu. That should have been the first clue. We did see the regular menu, but found that prices for the same items are at least $10 higher on Friday night. The food was good as were the portions. We had Grilled Salmon, mac & cheese, greens and Shrimp & Grits. The best part of the meal had to be the grilled pound cake. I have no complaints about the food. My only complaint was the cost, $84 for two not including tip. At that price point, I expect cloth napkins, not paper. I would eat here again, but not on Friday night.

1  Thank mxp16
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

We stopped in for a late lunch after watching the solar eclipe. Amazing food. Spicy mango chicken, Bar b que chicken, and meat loaf. Clean, friendly and delicious!!!

Been to Bert's Southern Cooking? Share your experiences!