“Gift Certificate”

and up
Hilton Head Island Creek Cat Tour
Ranked #3 of 45 Shopping in Hilton Head
More attraction details
Owner description: Serving as the centerpiece of the Sea Pines Plantation, this lighthouse structure is colored like a candy cane and features a small shop at the top.
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Lucky Me! Typically, I search out lighthouses wherever we travel, HHI was no exception.

We won a prize at our resort's Welcome Party good for admission ($4.25 otherwise for adults, not sure of the child price) for two to the lighthouse museum and climb the 114 steps to the observation deck at the top.

A very popular location, lots of people, parking at a premium.

Entrance fee into Sea Pines, $6 per vehicle.

Reviewed 25 July 2017

Do you like the view you often get from the top of a lighthouse? I have climbed a few in my day and a recent vacation to Hilton Head Island presented an opportunity for another walk up a lighthouse staircase when we visited the Harbour Town Lighthouse and Museum.

Harbour Town Lighthouse and Museum has a unique appearance, with red and white alternating stripes that have helped earn it the nickname as the candy cane lighthouse. At the base of the lighthouse, one will find a large number of rocking chairs and some people who visit just rock in the chairs and do little else. I didn’t come this far to sit in a chair- I wanted to see the view from the top and without an elevator, walking is the only way to get there.

This attraction charges a small fee to climb to the top and since it’s in Sea Pines, you have to pay a fee just to enter the surrounding area in your car, regardless of what you end up doing. The lighthouse isn’t that tall, so most people should be able to make the trek to the top with little problem. I did feel some weakness in my legs and I was huffing and puffing more than I expected, but I think that is a sign of my age more than anything. If you are in reasonable physical shape, you should have no problem making your way to the top because, again, the lighthouse isn’t that tall and it shouldn’t take you more than three or four minutes at most to get there.

As you climb to the top of the lighthouse, you will notice old photographs and other items that tell the history of the area. These things are nice if you want to take a breather and there is space to stop and look/read while others pass you by. Once you reach the top, you will be treated to the open views of the area, which are pretty cool and make for good photo ops.

Harbour Town Lighthouse and Museum has a gift shop at both the top and the bottom of the lighthouse, so you will have an opportunity to shop at both levels. It’s not an incredible lighthouse and I admit I have seen better lighthouses in other parts of the country. But it is a nice place to visit with the family in the Sea Pines area.

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Rude staff (female assistant manager) at ticket counter
Yelling at kids not to touch any books at the store by ticketing counter
How do I decide to buy anything if she yelled at kids who are trying to decide what to buy

Very unpleasant experience but the view from the lighthouse is wonderful

1  Thank Suzuka F
Reviewed 30 June 2017

I was on a solo vacation to Hilton Head. I visited the Harbour Town Lighthouse and Museum, listed as the #1 favorite attraction in the resort literature. The displays were interesting and informative. It was easy to climb the (107 steps I believe) to the top as there were several landings with great displays to peruse before moving to the next level. There was also a great view from the top. The price was reasonable at $4.25 for adults and children free.There were many cute shops and restaurants.From Harbour Town, I took the Shuttle-Trolley to South Beach Marina

Reviewed 29 June 2017

I have been to the lighthouse before and was surprised to find that they now charge $4.25 for anyone 5 and over to climb to the top. It's nice but, quite frankly, not that great. We had our granddaughters with us and ate at the hamburger place near the lighthouse. Way overpriced hamburgers. Definitely not the best hamburgers I have had. Entertainment under the tree was the highlight.

1  Thank minniewoodward