“Juneteenth on June 16, 2018”

Mitchelville Freedom Park
Ranked #18 of 119 things to do in Hilton Head
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was our first visit to historic Mitchelville Freedom Park since recent restorations. The festival was wonderful--good Gullah food, artisans, music. The band, Ranky Tanky, was EXCELLENT, performing a bit of the old Gullah beat updated to today resulting in a sound that blends jazz, gospel, rock. I wish I had gotten there earlier to have heard the other groups and drum circle. I'm definitely going next year.

All reviews
"lovely walk"
in 3 reviews
"tidal pools"

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

It’s hard to find the trail to the beach from the park. The trail is long, so be prepared if you have little ones or older kids who complain. Once we got there, the shells were almost entirely oyster shells. The beach smelled fishy and had large areas of mud. While searching for shells I sank into the mud and fell. The mud was black, sticky, and not typical sand. I had to cover my car seat with a towel and change ASAP. It was unpleasant at the beach - so much so that the trail was the highlight of our adventure. We did see two beautiful water birds. I don’t recommend this trip for what few shells you will get.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was my first time visiting the park and my experience was awesome and exciting. The activities at the festival were outstanding and very enjoyable. An archaeology team was excavating and shared the history of their finds. This park will be visited by me more often and the Juneteenth Festival will become an annual event.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We read that this was one of the only places on the island where there is good shelling. It didn't disappoint. There were lots of cool things on the beach. No sand dollars.

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 June 2018

The day we visited, an archaeology team was excavating and happily told us about the site and what they were looking for (the old Praise Building from Gullah freeman times). Some interesting partial buildings and a plaque quoting Toni Morrison that "no 300 foot tower or even a park bench" commemorates the freeman culture. Ironically, they erected a bench and not a tower.