“Incredible gardens”
Review of Brookgreen Gardens

Brookgreen Gardens
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This National Historic Site contains the country's largest and most extensive sculpture collection of American Figurative Sculpture, much of it places in beautiful gardens. Also a site for Lowcountry History and our Lowcountry Zoo, featuring animals native to our area.
Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

What a surprise finding this gem in the woods
Most beautiful gardens and sculptures
Endless and well planned layout, new surprises in every corner
Skip the zoo, a little run down, spend more time in the gardens
Can’t wait to go back

Write a ReviewReviews (3,338)
All reviews
in 54 reviews
"special events"
in 46 reviews

Reviewed 16 April 2018

We drove down about 45 minutes from our Myrtle Beach hotel to visit the garden. It's nice that parking is included with admission and your ticket is valid for a week, if you'd like to return another day. We did quite a bit of walking, since it covers a lot of land, so be sure to wear comfy shoes. They also offer a bus/shuttle and pontoon boat tour, which could help cut down the time on your feet. We stopped by the kids room early on, where we spent more time than we thought we would, playing with clay and engaging in other kids activities. The zoo is smaller by way of animal diversity (not layout) but still has some interesting creatures, which I believe are all rescues. We happened upon the eagles when they were being fed and got to hear more about them. There's also a historic aspect with it's roots as a slave plantation, and you can learn more about that with audio stops in one area that also contains building remnants and commemorative statues/art. The labyrinth, which we had been looking forward to, was a disappointment since it's just built into the ground as an outline and not an actual one you can work your way through. Also, we did breeze through some of the garden sections due to the nudity in the statues and having a little one with us. For me, it was a nice way to do something different than the usual tourist activities, but I could see it not being for everyone.

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

Gardens were simply stunning, just in spring bloom. Sculpture gardens are a must see if you visit. Tram is a good idea to get the layout of the entire park. Too much to see in a day, so thank goodness for the 7- day standard admission pass. A definite must see while in/near Myrtle Beach, especially for a break from the sand or sun. Will definitely go back.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

Lots of walking, even with shuttle. Map is not correct related to the gardens, we went initially to see the Huntington sculptures and could only find 3. Plan for several hours, there are many places to rest, eat, shop during the visit. Lovely gardens, very large and unexpected. The audio recordings regarding the slave and plantation history was disturbing to me, the use of southern slave dialect telling a glossed over history seemingly without the facts of real life challenges was the only thing I did not like. However, you don't have to stop and listen to these, just keep walking. The admission price is high, $18, but I believe this is good for several days if you want to spread out the visits.

1  Thank melissa h
See more reviews
Reviewed 15 April 2018

The last time I was here I was about 10 years old with my family. I remember some of the "gold" sculptures from my childhood so I was excited to experience it again with my husband. It was LOVELY. We always enjoy walking through the woods and gardens, but this has the added benefit of art.

The grounds are well kept and all the staff was very helpful. Now that I am older I enjoyed knowing the history of Brookgreen, but there is plenty for the younger kiddos too. There is a small zoo area and they have added a Dinosaur park as well.

If you don't pack a picnic, they try the loaded hot dogs at the café - they are amazing and very filling!! Although the cost may seem on the high side, keep in mind that the ticket is good for the week and not just the day. Also ask about AAA discounts.

1  Thank benooch67